Chapter 10

I spent too long a time being measured and going through different materials and designs for the dress. Beverly, I suspected, was dragging out this appointment so she could spend more time with her precious Grayson. It also didn't help that while she kept poking my ribs with her needles because she was too busy passing Grayson flirtatious looks, he lectured me on etiquette. I was very nearly ready to shove the box of pins down Beverly's throat after the hundredth poke.

"Ow! Son of a-"

"Ladies don't swear," Grayson cut me off, the muscles in his jaw working hard to resist smirking.

I glared vehemently at him and his amusement. "Fuck being a lady if this is what it's like. Let's see a man wear a corset--then we'll talk about etiquette."

Try as he might, a smirk broke out across his lips. I wanted to smack it off his pretty face. He was enjoying this far too much.

Beverly glanced at him then to me, suddenly scared to touch me. She should be. If she pricked me one more time. . . . 

"That's no way to talk, my lady," he scolded. His tone was serious--he had taken his role as my teacher very seriously--but there was a mischievous glimmer in his eyes that loved watching me break all the rules in his etiquette book. "I think you should apologise to Beverly. Properly." 

I'd never gone from liking someone to envisioning their murder so quickly in my life.

For the sake of the mission, I stole a deep breath, summoning all the patience the gods could grant me then smiled sweetly at the seamstress. "Please accept my apologies, Beverly. It's not your fault Grayson is an asshole."

He made a noise of exclamation, throwing his hands up in the air. "That's it. We're gagging you at the dinner." He stood up abruptly and turned to Beverly, the epitome of composure when his cool gaze landed on her. "How long will it take to make the adjustments to the dress?"

Beverly glanced at me nervously, like I was some wild beast that might gobble her up at any second. "I'll have it ready in a couple hours."

He inclined his head respectfully towards her then offered me a helping hand off the pedestal I stood on. I gave him a look; I didn't need help getting off a step.  To make a point, I gave him direct eye contact as I shoved my hands in my pockets then marched out the store. It was a miracle I could open the door by myself!

He growled behind me, easily keeping pace with me. "You could at least try to take this seriously, Eva."

We had been in the shop longer than I thought we were; the blue sky now held a tinge of purple and pink as the sun slowly began its descent. A man with a candle went from street lamp to lamp, illuminating the streets in a soft amber glow. 

"I don't understand why I have to behave like a brittle creature. It's silly."

"It's tradition," Grayson explained. He took the lead, herding me down a different street, which was just as busy as the last one we were in. Shops lined either side, with elaborate glass displays showing off the various goods they sold. The Vendor District, as he had called it, was so different from Vendor Street back home. There was a certain polish to it Brar could have never had, and there was a shop for everything, not just the necessities. It was marvelous, magical even, in its own way. I loved it, yet I couldn't help but feeling I didn't belong.

"Tradition is bullshit," I grumbled. 

He let out a tired breath. "Maybe, but if you're not on your best behavior in Lexxis, you'll disrespect King Renkon and the whole Kain family. Do you want that?"

I grimaced, biting my tongue. As much as I wanted to stick to my "improper ways," I had to let them go. I lived in a different world now. I wasn't a small town hunter anymore. I had responsibilities, and some of those responsibilities meant I had to meet with important people who may see my actions as an insult to them.