Epilogue

Eran regarded Grayson closely, determining if he should intervene or not. After all, he'd just lied to his friends. "Are you sure it's wise to go see him?"

Grayson crushed the note the guard had given him in his fist, not knowing the answer to his dragon's question. He wanted to see his brother, to watch him wallow and rot in that cell, despite there being an ulterior motive for his brother's request. There always was. He wanted something from him, and while he was inclined to deny him, if only to prove to him that he had no power over him anymore, he needed to put his mind at ease. He needed to confirm that King Renkon had taken all the precautions he told him to take. That Darius was locked behind bars, watched by several guards without a gap in their rotation, with no possible way of escape. He had to make sure there was no chance of him getting his filthy hands on Eva.

Grayson exhaled all the air from his lungs and breathed the chilly, Aborian air. "Is it wise? Probably not. But I have to see him. I won't be able to sleep until I see him for myself."

Eran, always the understanding partner, nodded then made himself more comfortable in the field, coiling his tail around his claws as he laid down. "Make it quick. I am anxious to return to Dragon Canyon."

That went for both of them.

Eva knew who he was now, knew of the monster lurking within him. He tried so hard to put the past behind him, to forget and start a new life. But it hadn't forgotten about him and now it may ruin his one chance of atonement.

His feelings for Eva had been unexpected but a blessing. He felt whole when she looked at him, like maybe he could make up for all the horrible things he had done in the past. It was strange that a single person could have that affect on him, while the hundreds of people he had saved during his years of service as a Dragon Knight barely scratched the surface of the cancer on his soul.

Until Leo told her who he was. Now that cancer had begun to fester again. She didn't look at him with horror or disgust, not yet, only in anger and distrust. That look hurt more than any lashing Sylus gave him. He'd do anything to not feel it again.

He didn't know how to make things right with Eva. Dealing with emotions, his or others, wasn't exactly his strong suit, Jacob could atest to that. What he was truly good at, and what he feared he would always be known for, was bringing others pain, torment, death. If he couldn't do anything else to show her what she meant to him, he'll do what he did best to protect her from Sylus, from his brothers, and anyone else who thought they had a claim on her power.

It all started with making sure Darius stayed  in Kain Castle's dungeon.

Driven with purpose, Grayson turned on his heel and followed the guard down to the dungeon. It reeked of piss, shit, and decay, something he'd unfortunately gotten used to after spending so much time torturing people in Sylus' dungeon. This time the stench was different, though. Maybe because, despite everyone down here being the lowest of criminals, the Kain family bothered to have the cells cleaned every now and again. Or maybe it was because his brother was down here, and it felt good to force him to live with his filth.

He stopped in front of his cell at the end of the very long corridor. Darius sat casually in a pile of hay, still given the courtesy of wearing their family sigils. His hair, while combed by his fingers, was greasy and matte against the torchlight. A slow smile crept up his lips--Grayson hated that smile. He did it every time he was up to no good. Most of the time, someone ended up dead.

"I'm glad you came, brother," he said civilly, yet there was nothing but animosity in his eyes. He peered over Grayson's shoulder to see who else had joined them. He was about to be sorely disappointed. "The little rider didn't come? She afraid?" As fantasies of what Eva's fear of him might look like, his smile grew to his eyes.