Eleven

''THERE IS ABSOLUTELY no reason for you to yank my hair that hard

''THERE IS ABSOLUTELY no reason for you to yank my hair that hard.'' I grunted, and another pull to my hair came. I was sitting on the floor of my living room with a soft pillow in my lap, whilst my mother was on the couch behind me, braiding my hair into two dutch braids.

''Yes, there is. It's been weeks since you last called me, Freya, weeks. You went to England and didn't bother to even call me? I'm not even going to begin the topic of not bringing me a gift.''

I laughed as she finished the second braid and tied it up with two small elastics. I turned to her and saw the look of amusement on her face, before I placed my head on her lap.

''I know, I'm sorry. I've been busy,'' I said, ''Speaking of busy, how is business going?''

My mother gave me a look that told me not to ask further questions. Although, there was a hint of amusement in her eyes, she was stern and determined enough not to tell me a single word.

''You're on the enemy's side right now, Freya. You know I can't tell you a single word.''

I sighed, ''I know. I forgot, honestly.''

Mom clicked her tongue, ''And it's all your fault, you know. You could've done your internship at our company instead, but no, you wanted to escape our claws.''

I laughed it off, but she was right, ''I couldn't work for you guys. I grew up watching dad being a businessman and yes, I picked up on all of his tricks, but I wanted to see and get more experience. That company is going to be mine someday, so don't worry, I'm not fully crossing to the enemy's side.''

Sienna Preston was definitely my role model growing up. She had a share of dad's company, however, she was an attorney that represented him and the company. She was extremely intelligent, and not once, in her forty-seven years has she lost a single case.

However, her flaw was that she absolutely had to know everything. It didn't matter if she planned on sharing it with dad or not, she simply needed to be the person that was informed of everything, even if it had nothing to do with her.

''So,'' She began to pry, as she kept her voice low, ''How is it going with the Westwood publishing house?''

I suppressed a laugh and finally got off her lap. I poured us a drink, non-alcoholic, of course, and took a seat next to her on the couch.

''Why would you be interested in that?''

Mom was quick to reply, ''Because the other man fighting to buy it is your father.''

I grinned, ''Sorry, I'm as loyal as a dog, and now my loyalty lies towards my boss while I'm working for him.''

She mumbled under her breath, ''I figured.''

''Although, what I can tell you is that I didn't know about dad being the second possible buyer. Mr. Vaughn has a lot of secretaries and each deals with something he assigns. So, since I'm the only child of Michael Preston, and it's obviously a conflict of interest, I never knew about it until now.''