Thirty-seven

Someone needed to give me an award

Someone needed to give me an award. The award needed to be made out of gold, because I definitely won first place when it came to the most awkward, random meetings. The first two were Cora and Luka, and Elijah followed. I thought it was the last of it, until someone rang my doorbell this morning and I was left in shock.

''You and I need to talk.''

I blinked. ''I don't even know you.''

Nina had a passive look on her face, though I saw a hint of hatred behind them. For a moment, she was simply watching me. How the hell did she know my address? I doubted Elijah told her, as she wasn't supposed to know I was alive. Then again, she wasn't a stupid woman, and she'd seen me.

''Well, you're about to know me. Get changed, I'll wait for you downstairs.''

As soon as she finished speaking, in her goddamn condescending tone, she was out. For a moment, I contemplated whether or not to just go back to bed, as it was barely eight in the morning, but then decided against it. I was curious as to what she possibly could've wanted from me that she barged into my building so early.

And who the hell let her in? It was a highly secured building, and without a passcode no one could go in.

It was a warmer day, and I opted for a summer dress that reached just above my knees. I didn't try too hard with makeup, but I did want to look put together. Just because I was dead didn't mean I had to look like that.

It didn't take me long before I was out of the door. I felt anxious, but I did my best not to let it show. Nina was waiting on the bench in front of my building, and once she saw me, she nodded and began walking.

This bitch expected me to follow her.

Why the hell did I follow her like a lost puppy?

We didn't walk too far and went to the coffee shop a street away. I ordered a latte, and neither of us spoke a word until we got our drinks. She sipped on her freshly squeezed orange juice, eyes narrowed as she stared me down.

''Is there a point in this meeting or did you just want to buy me a drink?''

She chuckled. ''Give me a moment, it's the first time I saw someone come back from the dead.''

''Yeah, the moment passed. So tell me, what do you want exactly?''

She put her glass down and opened her bag. It was quite big, and soon enough, a thick file was on the table. Nina slid it over to me, but I didn't touch it.

''What is that?''

She tilted her head to the side. ''See for yourself.''

I pushed it back to her. If this was a blackmailing attempt, it was pathetic. ''No, thank you. Not interested.''

Another dry laughter came from Nina. With a sigh, she smiled. ''Okay. What's your endgame, then?''

''Stop beating around the bush and tell me what are you talking about.''