chapter 36.

Scarlett:
It wasn't until Thursday that Colin and I got the call, letting us know that our application to foster Lexie had gone through.
After a very long four months of waiting, I was scared that something could still go wrong which is why we chose to keep it a surprise until now.

This morning consisted of my daughter asking me every five minutes when Lex was going to be here, putting Cosmo down for his morning nap and trying to keep my adrenaline at bay.

When I heard the car pull up outside, I jumped up from the couch and ran to the front door. Rose is somewhere upstairs and I'm pretty certain my husband is sat on the toilet...

As I watch my now eldest daughter step out of the car and walk over to me with a slightly confused, yet hopeful expression on her face, I try to contain the urge to explode into tears.
"Are you fostering me?" She questions, tears welling in her gorgeous green eyes. I nod, my heart wanting to burst with joy.

At the same time, we both engulf each other in the biggest hug as she burst into tears, tucking her head into the crook of my neck.

Colin comes up behind me as Lexie lifts her head and wipes her eyes on the sleeve of her shirt before pulling him into the hug as well.
Only once has she hugged Colin before, so for her to do it again makes my heart happier than ever put into words.

"Thank you," she cries.

"Lexie!" Rose comes running to the door. "You're my sister now!" She squeals, jumping up into Lex's arms just as she pulled away from us. "Hi Rosie," she giggles. "Why are you crying?" She frowns, wiping her tears away. "They're happy tears," she smiles gently. "Because we're sisters?"
"Yes, because we're sisters," she agrees, kissing her forehead.

__

"We've not done much to your room yet because we thought you might want to choose how you wanted it decorated," I admit, sliding one hand into the pocket of my jeans and opening the door with my free hand.

Both my girls walk in, hand in hand as Rose pulls at Lexie's arm, practically jumping up and down.

Over the weekend, Colin and I put a fresh coat of paint on the wall and bought a new mattress and bedding.
We also switched the rug out for something a little more Lexie, and after clearing out the closet and bathroom, her room was ready for her to move in.

Lexie turns to us with teary eyes. "Thank you so much," she smiles, her voice cracking slightly as she withholds any tears from falling. "Group hug!" My youngest daughter orders, managing to pull us all in.

__

After helping Lex unpack her things and Rose had fallen asleep 'helping' (she sat on the bad and talked her little head off), Colin went to attend to Cosmo once he'd woken up and I went downstairs to start on making lunch.

"Scarlett?" Lexie mumbles as I pull out what I need from the fridge. "Yes, sweetheart?" I turn my head back to her with a small smile. "I don't know how to thank you enough," she admits quietly, "I'm really grateful for you."

"Oh my sweet girl, you don't need to thank me. I'm so grateful for you too and feel like the luckiest person to have you living with us," I reply, cupping her cheeks in my hands and placing a big kiss on her forehead.

"So, I don't have work today but you have to be on set at four? Is that right?" I question, walking back behind the counter to begin chopping up the vegetables. "Yep. I can't believe I only have a couple weeks left," she says. "I know, it's gone so fast. But truthfully, at some point we're all going to have to do re-shoots anyway. Then there's all press and fun stuff after that."

"I'm nervous for that. Especially the premiere," she giggles. "It can be nerve-wracking, but it's so much fun. Besides, I'm gonna be there with you the whole time," I assure her.

Lexie:
For the three hours I've been here, I've been trying to rack my brain around the fact that I'm actually living in a place I feel is home, with people I feel are family.

I don't think I've felt this much gratitude before.

This is my home now.

After sitting down with Scarlett and Colin for lunch, I went back upstairs to my bedroom to take a nap. Honestly, I'm very tired from crying (even though they were happy tears), and I'm working for five hours tonight and that's leaving out the hour I spend in the hair and makeup chair.

Before falling asleep though, both Annie and Addy had texted me asking how I found my new foster home. My response was vague, wanting to tell them in person because, I'm so excited about it.

Eventually I was woken up again by Scarlett gently shaking my body. "Sorry to wake you, honey. We've got to leave in half and hour," she smiles gently, moving the hair out of my face.
I groan, rubbing my eyes with my fists as they adjust to the light.

"We can get Starbucks on the way if that helps?" She chuckles. "Starbucks always helps," I joke, sitting up with a yawn.

I spend my next thirty minutes getting ready before Scarlett and I walk out the door. Not without Rose giving me a thousand and one hugs and kisses first.

She's my sister now. Cosmo's my brother. Colin is my Dad and Scarlett's my mama.

I think she has been for a while now, despite everything, and I am eternally grateful for all of them.

__________
Happy New Year!
I hope this year brings you so much joyyy <3

My goal is to update this book every Monday, Wednesday and Friday but those days may vary depending on how busy I get ahah.

Love you all 🤍

Also, whilst you're here, go read gayfortasha 's new book

https://www.wattpad.com/story/327426016?utm_source=ios&utm_medium=link&utm_content=share_reading&wp_page=library&wp_uname=idkwhatimdoininlife&wp_originator=jwIzMFsgLGwQfwKXD%2FZ2yrPlBF0AmNHi%2FiCZd%2F8FZr2fDjOeMW9aPACrsdjvLlhODwL2H6yVUm05gl%2FRm8DtjulmY%2BxfG95XEVJojbSxAxofJs4uR4LKRcE8aOGV7V%2BJ