1 - A Fish Out Of Water

305 BCE: Thebes (Thiva), Greece

The sun glistened in the sky and hovered over the city. A few steps away from Meira and Nanni were the women's quarters, known as the gynaeceum. Meira held a five-month A'bel in her arms. Her light pink veil covered the sides of her hair, almost sealing her eyes in public. Each person passing by was observed by Nanni to see if they were following them. No one was. Nanni was then greeted by a large group of women welcoming her inside. She was greatly praised for helping women with childbearing. Nanni sat down on a chair granted by one of the midwives. Meira bent on her knees to cradle A'bel. She didn't focus on the chit-chatter the women blazed on about how thankful they were for Nanni. Meira had only eyes for A'bel. Setting her gaze upon the miracle that came out of her. He cooed little sounds on her bosom. The women were awed at the sight of A'bel. A woman asked him his name and Meira answered.

Women spun threads to weave clothes for their children. One of them had their toddlers and babies with them while the men went to warfare. Except for Armanius. He walked into the cornfield to clear his mind, he closed it off to feel the cool wind touching his skin. Armanius gazed at the clouds floating in the pale blue sky.

[THE PAST, 281 ROME BCE]

A ten-year-old Armanius points a dagger behind his father's neck. Ares performed a backflip over him and kicked the back of his leg to make his son slip. Armanius's locs bounced as he got back up again. He gripped his dagger and hunched his back. Armanius bent his knees like a monkey as he circled Ares. He eyed him when he scanned each of his surroundings. Armanius flung himself toward his father yet Ares moved out of the way resulting in Armanius's fall. The prickly grass pokes Armanius and his hair got leaves stuck in the bushy areas on his head.

"Lesson number one, don't forcefully attack your enemies. Observe them and attack!" Ares commanded.

Armanius roughly rubbed the specks of dust off his threaded red chiton. He stuck his tongue as Ares rolled his eyes.

"I almost had you!" Armanius cried out.

"No, boy. You don't go after what you see. Use your heart and mental instincts. Not from what you see," Ares articulated.

Ares and Armanius would go into the market daily to buy food and clothes. When a worker asks for a Caesar coin, Ares forms the item in thin air behind his back. He lends him the cash and they accept the purchased commodities. Armanius washes his clothes in the lake by pouring water over them when they get dirty. Ares poses as a human being watching his son do the work. So far, they have lived a quiet life. While away from home, Ares was at peace. No stress to endure or pressure to hold.

He can watch his son pretend to be a bird to flap his arms in the field and not be bothered. Ares understands the young mind of Armanius. He can't take that away from him.

The most important lesson he'd want Armanius to know is the strength he has inside of him. Hoping one day he would use it for his own good. He's worried about the time he has left and wants Armanius to use his fighting skills for his benefit. For the time being, he has a lot of growing up to do.

Armanius used an ax to chop wood. His hands had a pool of sweat from lifting the ax by defying his strength. He dropped it and tried scratching the sticks together to make fire. Ares assisted his son by lending him the pieces of wood. Then voila, the fire ignited.

They stayed outside of the Capanna, their hut. Ares chewed on a loaf of bread while Armanius chomped the crispy salmon fish. The fire seethed through the piled woods. As Ares finished eating, he entered a state of thought.

Armanius noticed his father's stare as he ceased to chew his food. "Papa, what is it?"

There was a sigh stemming from Ares's mouth. He closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened his eyes, he gazed into his son's dark eyes. Ares stroked wheat in his hands. "I won't always be there for you, son."