3 - From Past To Present

330 BCE: Thebes (Thiva), Greece

The news of Nia's death spread everywhere as more women got pregnant mysteriously fifteen years later. In the hot sun, clouds spread apart. More families and civilians bought fruits from food stands in the agora marketplace. Twenty-five-year-old A'bel walked around, gazing at the delicious bright red apples in the round wooden basket, then he turned his focus to the multitude with him glancing at them each time they walked past him.

An earful of thumping rang in A'bel's ears as he heard sandals tap on the ground. He saw his friend Pietro approach him. As the sun's rays penetrated his beige skin, it camouflaged. A'bel smiled and they slapped their backs welcoming each other in a quick embrace. The boys pulled away, laughing without pause. They walked past others in the market. Although the boys were not buying yet, they observed the crowd. That is until one spoke.

"Do you think our fathers are too harsh on us?" Pietro wondered. "Try sailing far from the coast, looking for those damn fish for centuries. One complaint and then away from home for daddy time. Ay man, they want to kill us from their boring jobs!"

"At least we don't have to be at war. I would rather chop wood all day than be on the battlefield," A'bel replied. "Those lads must deal with Creon's high demand for this damn city."

"Creon is something. We better be glad we aren't forced to fight. I'm a wimp at heart."

"Of course you are!" A'bel said.

Pietro glanced at a couple of women standing close together. He stared at how they moved their hips, their flowing hair brushed by the wind. Pietro then gently smacked A'bel's shoulders to his amusement. A'bel chuckled as he thrust his hands onto Pietro's back, tenderly pushing him away while he laughed.

"Cecelia is one fine flower..." Pietro whispered.

She stood under the sun and her pale skin covered in freckles was evident when the light shined on her. Even so, Cecelia's blue eyes shimmered in the sun's rays as her curly brown hair whipped in the air.

"I heard she's taken." A'bel looked at her momentarily and turned his focus to his friend.

"All of these girls are always taken. But I gotta say, would you date one of them?" Pietro asked, smirking. He used his elbow and nudged A'bel's shoulder.

A'bel tapped his sandals on the ground, smiling at his friend. A chuckle escaped his lips as he scratched the back of his head. A'bel shrugged and looked at Pietro.

"I'm not interested. I don't know, why would you ask?" A'bel laughed.

He walked past his friend and left the marketplace. Pietro caught up as he ran after him. A'bel approached a field of sunflowers spotted on the grass. Women plucked weeds from the dirt and put them in baskets hung on their shoulders while clutching them to their waists.

Pietro caught his eye on the young maidens running past them. Their tunic gowns flapped in the air when their hairs were blown by the wind. The white dandelions flew in the air as they gracefully ran through the meadows and laughed like joyous children. Pietro and A'bel followed them with their eyes, admiring their graceful movement.

"You go ahead and have fun. I don't want my parents to worry about me," A'bel said.

Pietro seized A'bel's wrist, stopping him in his tracks. A'bel raised an eyebrow, staring at his friend.

"Hold on there, fella. Where are you rushing off to?" Pietro asked, questioning him.

A'bel snatched his wrist away from Pietro. He used his thumb to circulate the sensation of pressure on his wrist after feeling Pietro's strong grip.