08

- ̥۪͙۪˚┊❛ CHAPTER EIGHT ❜┊˚ ̥۪͙۪◌THAT FUNNY FEELING❛ the backlash to the backlash to the thing that's just begunthere it is againthat funny feeling ❜

- ̥۪͙۪˚ CHAPTER EIGHT ˚ ̥۪͙۪◌
THAT FUNNY FEELING
❛ the backlash to the backlash to the
thing that's just begun
there it is again
that funny feeling ❜

- ̥۪͙۪˚┊❛ CHAPTER EIGHT ❜┊˚ ̥۪͙۪◌THAT FUNNY FEELING❛ the backlash to the backlash to the thing that's just begunthere it is againthat funny feeling ❜

Years ago. . .

"I hear Helaena has birthed twins," Rhaenyra said as the family ate their dinner together. "Isn't that surprising?"

She watched as Daemon twirled the fork and played with his food. "As much as I love joyous and celebratory news, I think," her husband began, his glance turning to everyone. "We should begin to think about the allies we have here in Westeros. We don't know how my brother is, and for our safety, for the children, and for your right to the throne."

"Daemon-"

"We always have House Stark," spoke Jacaerys, turning the whole room silent. "Remember Eudora–"

Lucerys took this moment to his advantage. "Your girlfriend?" The boy asked in a sing-song voice, wiggling his eyebrows at his brother.

"She's not!"

"Is too! Jace writes to her almost every day!"

"Luke, Jace, enough," Rhaenyra cuts the conversation short. She lets out a heavy sigh, then turns to her eldest son. "Jace, you don't have to tell your friend to involve her family in... whatever family affairs we have right now."

"But we'll be better off allying with the Starks now before everything gets out of hand-"

"Who is putting these ideas in your head-"

"You could wed him to their youngest," Daemon said, leaning on the table whilst he rests his chin on top of his hands. Rhaenyra gave her husband a look of confusion, and he continued to talk. "It would give the Starks every reason to have our backs."

"But we don't have to consider this right now," sighed Rhaenyra. Jacaerys was left no choice but to look between the two adults. It was as if some new confidence or outburst has filled him when he said,

"I'll do it." The whole room went silent, eyes landing on the oldest son. "I could marry her, for our houses."

The princess rubbed her forehead, much in a tiresome way. All this talk about political marriages was not helpful. She only wanted a peaceful family dinner. "Listen, Jace," Rhaenyra said, wanting to get the issue over with. "Are you sure you'd do that?"

"If it is my duty, then yes."

"Are we certain about that?"

"I promise I will."

"If the time is right, we'll bring this subject to the table once more."

-

His eyes immediately snapped back to his mother who was talking to her sons. "Don't get into any bad business with your uncles. We aren't here to cause more of a fuss."

"Alright-"

"And be good with your grandfather, you haven't seen him in such a long time."

Jace continued to listen to whatever his mother was talking about. He was given the privilege to sit by the window of the carriage, watching as they entered the gates of the castle. Everything looked the same but different at the same time. It wouldn't be a surprise if everyone changed as well. As they got off of their ride, he noticed that the family wasn't greeted by his grandfather or his wife- but rather Lord Caswell.

"Welcome back, Princess."

"Lord Caswell," his mother greeted, turning to look at her sons. "You two explore the castle once more, Daemon and I will see to your grandfather."

He only gave a nod, nudging his younger brother to follow him. Jace and Luke were set on visiting the fighting grounds once more. The trip to their chosen destination wasn't too far— especially when you know your way around the castle. It felt as if they were kids once more, running around the hallways to get to their training in time. Time did fly a bit too fast.

When the pair arrived at the steps of the grounds, a sigh of relief was made by Luke. "Smaller than I remember," the younger brother commented, watching his steps down the stairs.

"It looks exactly the same," Jace answered back. "Oh, Luke, come on," he then urged whilst he rushed down the stairs. The numerous people around them were the only things getting in the way of Jace's happy mood. As swords met, so did the stares and glares from everyone. His dark hair made it well known he was less of a Velaryon, more of a Strong. Years in Dragonstone helped him grow accustomed to this fact, he accepted and acknowledged the thought that both Laenor and Harwin were his fathers in the little time Jace had with them.

Yet rumors stay rumors, and people will continue to talk. Jace couldn't help but feel bad for his brother, who was a subject of the gossip as well. "See?" He said out loud with a smile, running up to the gate as he tried to distract Luke's glum look. "I told you this would still be here. And you thought you could swing Criston's morning star." Quick steps were made to Luke after he inspected the timeless hole on the wall. Jace made a laugh as he messed with his brother's hair. "And you almost took your own head off."

Luke continued to look wary and stayed silent. "What's your problem?"

"Everyone is staring at us. No one would question me being heir to Driftmark if... if I looked more like Ser Laenor Velaryon than Ser Harwin Strong." There it was again, for a moment Jace held in his breath. He didn't know how to defend Luke from all this.

"It doesn't matter what they think," Jace said, though it didn't provide much comfort. Instead, the Velaryon made his way to where most people were crowding over. Three people seemed to be fighting with swords, and it was interesting to say the least. One was his uncle, Aemond, swift as usual. A fierce fighter one might say.

Two was Criston Cole, trying to swing at Aemond.

And three,

Three was someone whom he didn't expect to see.

"Eudora."

((🫖))