It is I!

I decided that going on three years was long enough to sit with a single random book (it starts to feel stagnant after a while), and here I am with a brand spanking new one. Ready to have thoughts and share them.

I am Verity. Ver. Autumn to the occasional few. You are welcome to my little lair.

My authorly life has seen me complete six books, publish four of them, and battle writer crisis after writer crisis as my creative energy foundered. The demands of professional author publicity, tensions with my company, and my growing realization of what I really wanted led in November '22 to a clear-cut decision. I separated cordially from my publisher, taking my books off the market and reverting all their rights to me.

Maybe it sounds like I'm back where I started. But nothing could be further from the truth. From 2018 onward, I was learning "in the harness". Four years of acquired experience in the marketing and publishing industry, watching what worked for authors in my field, watching them fall into burnout and watching how they climbed out of it. Four years forging a network of friends and colleagues. I don't regret those years.

My books may have to start afresh from the ground up, but I've never been more ready to take them on that journey.

But all that in its time. I've been resting placidly for two months, kicking up my heels and unleashing that little creative spark that suddenly seems so wonderfully alive. It's lovely to be on a sabbatical and not have to worry about things like platform. To tinker with your website on a free afternoon and know you don't have to prep a social media post instead, not until you want to.

I'm excited to wait until I'm ready.

And in the meantime, there's so much to think about and do. *1995 Pride and Prejudice Caroline Bingley voice* "Can I persuade you to take a turn about the room with me? It's so refreshing."