22

valentine's day

ON THE FOURTEENTH OF FEBRUARY, CLARISSE AWOKE AS IF IT WAS A NORMAL DAY. The girl clambered out of bed, stumbling into the bathroom as she rubbed her eyes tiredly, noting that none of her roommates were awake. The dormmates that she had received never liked her, not even from first year, so the girl picked up the habit of waking up early and leaving the dorms before the other girls started to stir.

As she pattered back to her bed to pull out her school robes, her now awake eyes widened at the sight of a fresh bouquet of flowers sitting in a clear vase next to her bed. Roses. A box of chocolates were placed carefully next to the vase, her favourite chocolates, and a small card.

"Oh shit!"

It was fair to say that the girl had forgotten that Valentine's Day was a thing, especially since Pandora didn't celebrate it so she never really placed any importance on the day.

Clarisse read the card that sat in the middle of the roses with a snort, her lips turning upwards slightly.

To my Reese,

Roses are red,
Dumbledore's robes are blue,
A candle is fiery,
And so are you.

Orchids are white,
Ghost ones are rare,
Horses are luscious,
And so is your hair.

Magnolia grows,
With buds like eggs,
Your clothes are sexy,
And so are your legs.

Sunflowers reach,
Up to the skies,
Pots of coffee,
Are so like your eyes.

Flobberworms in hedges,
Surround the farms,
But my house is safe,
And so are your arms.

Daisies are pretty,
Carnations have style,
Hogwarts is beautiful,
And so is your smile.

A rose is gorgeous,
Just like you,
So you deserve,
Quite a few!

Love J.P

"Oh my Merlin." Clarisse breathed out, letting out an airy chuckle as she read the poem. It was stupid, smart and sweet.

"Shut the fuck up Russo, some of us our trying to sleep!"

Clarisse's initial happiness dulled as she quickly apologised, tucking the card into her pocket as she changed into her robes, before rushing out.

"Morning Clari." Regulus chimed from the sofa, already up and awake. He stood, ready to escort the girl to the Great Hall, when he saw her frown. "What's wrong?"

"Just Parkinson again." Clarisse waved him off before perking up slightly. "James sent me roses."

"How disgustingly cute."

"The poem was atrocious, Antlers." Clarisse commented as she sat down at the Gryffindor table with a small smile, James' face wavering. "I love it!"

James smiled brightly, weaving his arm around her waist as she leaned into him. "I'm glad."

Clarisse quickly pulled out the small black satin box she picked up on her way to the hall. "This isn't much but I found it in my mother's vaults... she was a Nott you see."

Her nimble fingers played with the latch of the small box. "I was going to give it to you on your birthday but I decided that perhaps it might be a good present for today."

She passed the black box over to the intrigued boy who instantly opened it like it was a packet of sweets. His eyebrows raised as his fingers traced over the ring inside. It was a silver ring, big enough to fit his fingers, obviously made for a man. It had a black diamond shaped gem in the middle and engraved inside was the surname Nott.

"It's the promise ring that my grandma gave to my grandpa before they married." She explained as he slipped it on with a big smile on his face.

"I love it Reese." James swooped downwards and gave her a peck before inspecting the ring closer with an entertained expression. "So we are basically married now?"

"Don't be silly." Clarisse smacked his arm lightly making the boy chuckle.

As the couple ate breakfast in a comfortable silence, a shaggy black haired boy quickly interrupted as he pulled an almond haired boy down next to him. "Hey guys! Wonderful morning don't you think?"

"Sirius," Clarisse cautioned, "you're unusually chipper today?"

Sirius quickly shoved a piece of toast into his mouth with a wide grin. "I'm chipper everyday!"

Clarisse and James shared a look before staring at their friends intently. After a minute of observation, Clarisse noticed three out of place things.

1. Sirius' lips were swollen and he kept shifting in his seat uncomfortably.
2. Remus seemed to have a glimmer underneath his neck, resulting in Clarisse immediately assuming there's a glamour there covering... something.
3. Both boys were glowing.

"Holy shit you guys had sex!" James whisper shouted as he observed the same things as Clarisse, his mouth agape as he pointed at them accusingly.

Remus choked on his water as Sirius bucked up in surprise with wide eyes and a furiously shaking head. "NO WE DID NOT!"

"You totally did." Clarisse murmured with a smirk as she stared smugly at the blush painted on Remus' cheeks. "Cute." She quipped lightly with a smile.

"We didn't!" Sirius denied once more, a horrified look on his face as he turned to James who was frozen.

James immediately unfroze at the look on his face, knowing that if he didn't say anything now, Sirius would internalise his hatred for his homosexuality. He knew Sirius Black way too well. "I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU BOTH!"

The boy jumped over the table, shoving most items off onto the floor, as he gathered his two best friends into a big hug. Ignoring McGonagall's shrieks to get off of the table and the two boy's resistance to the hug, James hugged his friends tighter.

"What's going on?" Peter asked curiously as he sat down next to Clarisse in the spare seat that they had saved, serving himself bacon as he stared at James' arse. He grimaced at how motherly James was being and backtracked. "Actually I don't want to know."

"PETER!" James said dramatically, pulling the boy by the collar over the table into the hug with immeasurable force and gusto.

"I'm going to go!" Clarisse said bemused as she tapped his arse, skipping off back to the Slytherin table where Regulus, Barty, Evan and Severus were sitting stiffly with confused expressions on their faces.

"Do we want to know why Potter-"

"No." Clarisse shook her head with a smile.

"Okay."