46| Broken

One month later

"Amber... Amber?!" I jolted in surprise and glanced at Kayla.

"Yeah?"

"Why do you still have your head on the computer? It's lunchtime."

"I don't feel like eating," I mumbled, looking back at my computer.

"You need to feed something to your broken heart." She sighed, leaning her hip next to my table.

Broken heart? It's much worse than that.

"First the food goes in your stomach, not your heart..." I answered furiously, typing on my computer. "And second, I'm not heartbroken."

It's torn into so many pieces that I don't think I'll be able to put them back together.

"Don't lie, because I can feel the misery radiating from you." I kept my eyes on the screen, trying to avoid her gaze

"I'm fine Kayla- Hey!" I shrieked when she pulled my computer's plug. "I am working!"

"It's lunchtime and you won't get a promotion for working on your break." She rolled her eyes.

"But I will get a promotion if I write a good story." I groaned, plopping my back on my chair. "I just need to find it."

"You already have one." She pointed, and I shook my head.

"I won't write about him."

I began investigating Finlay's case for the story only, but on the way, I got distracted. I shouldn't care, but it didn't feel right to write about him when he didn't even remember me. That day dug a hole inside me and nothing could fix it. It felt like yesterday when it was almost a month ago.

A month of my misery and grief.

When Finlay woke up that day, the doctors asked him what he recalled. He remembered how he was born, his parents, the Cockburns, and his revenge, which made the others astonished while I bounced on my steps as I waited for him to say anything about me. He remembered the night of the accident and every little detail, but not me.

I wanted to scream and beat the shit out of him for not knowing me, but I couldn't because I knew he wasn't to blame. It was his soul with whom I spent the time and I should have comprehended from the beginning of this possibility. Whatever happened in that period meant nothing to him, but for me, it was everything.

I even fell for him.

That day I heard my heart shattering loud and clear in my ears. It echoed through my whole body and I thought I might pass out, but I didn't because I felt numb. I watched as everyone greeted Finlay and Dolina, weeping as she hugged her grandchild and thanked god he remembered everything.

Everything but not me.

His ocean eyes wandered around the room observing everyone and when they landed on me, I saw nothing but dullness. They didn't even stay on me for a second and went next to Neil.

That's when I knew I wasn't needed there anymore. He didn't remember me, so what was the use of staying? I sneaked out of the room with no one noticing me, quickly booked my ticket on my phone, went to the Cockburns' castle for the last time to pick up my things, and flew back to New York City.

Mr. Bulter almost caught me at the castle, but I told him I just needed my things. I placed Finlay's mother box I brought with me in his room and walked out of there, never looking back.

It's been almost a month and if I say I got back to my usual life like Finlay never happened to me, then I will be bluffing because I couldn't stop thinking about him... I knew him for just a few weeks and fell for him hard and fast, and it was all my fault.