2 | The Black Snake

As Harry took a step inside Le Café de Carnation, the sweet smell of coffee and freshly baked cake flowed into his nostrils.

Next thing for him to notice were the numerous fairy lights strung out across the walls, illuminating the small room. There was also plenty of greenery placed around the cafe; in corners, on tables, on the windowsills, and even on the walls. Whoever ran this shop must really be interested in gardening or something.

Harry followed Ginny to the counter, which he noticed was behind a set of sheer curtains, each curtain tied to either side of the counter with silk ribbons.

For a good while, Harry had forgotten he was in a Muggle-owned shop. He'd compared the cafe to the likeness of fantastical things he had only seen in the wizarding world.

"Good evening!" the girl at the counter beamed. "What can I get you today? Here's a menu if you need it." She placed a folded card in Ginny's hands. "Take your time to decide, and feel free to grab a complimentary sweet from the bowl while you wait." The girl then pushed a small bowl full of Celebrations towards Ginny, still wearing a sweet smile. "Let me know once you're ready to order."

This had happened so quick that even Ginny was left dumbfounded, staring at the card in her hand.

"Okay . . ." Ginny mumbled, still processing the things the girl behind the counter had said. "So Harry, what do you want?"

"I'm not sure. What's on the menu?"

Harry peered over his girlfriend's shoulder as she opened the card to a page with designs containing flowers and a lot of cursive writing—similar to the designs around the shop and on the windows, but this time they were a light pink shade and vaguely reminded Harry of the cherry blossoms he'd usually see in spring.

"I can't read from here. Is there anything good?" Harry inquired.

His eyes followed Ginny's finger running down the page as she read the contents out loud.

"There's espresso, cappuccino, latte, cold brew, iced coffee——"

"Er, is there anything else?"

Harry didn't like coffee, but he was too awkward to tell Ginny even after eight years of knowing her. And he didn't think that admitting it right now, in the middle of a cafe on her birthday, was the best thing to do.

"Ooh! There's even luwak coffee!" Ginny exclaimed. "I've never tried it, but I've heard it's good."

"Isn't— isn't that the really expensive one?" Harry asked, his fingers crossed that Ginny wouldn't pick such an expensive coffee to drink or recommend to Harry.

"I think so," Ginny said thoughtfully, "but how expensive can it be?"

Harry looked over her shoulder once more and his eyes followed the line of dots until he read . . . "Thirty pounds!"

"How much would that be?" asked Ginny in a low voice, again, to not draw attention. "In—um—our currency?"

"Six Galleons and eleven Knuts . . ." Harry said, his throat drying up as he spoke.

"For a cup of coffee? That's ridiculous!"

The whisper-shouting had caught the attention of the girl from earlier, who was talking with one of her coworkers before she heard the foul comments Ginny made about the price.

Harry expected the girl's smile to fade at the loss of a potential customer, but her beam didn't falter a bit.

"Any problems, Miss?" she asked politely.

"No, no. Everything's alright," Ginny replied, trying her best to echo the politeness. "But thanks for the concern."

"If you say so. Have you made a decision on what you would like to get yet?"