23 | Fireworks

After making sure Viridis was happy and safe downstairs, Harry, along with Hermione and Ron, helped Draco with handling piles of muffins, cupcakes and chocolates with a few salads and a couple sandwiches to keep it 'healthy'. Though, they picked up pretty much whatever they found left lying around.

"What do you usually do with all this food?" Harry asked, trying to look over the pile of desserts in his hand to make sure he wouldn't trip over any steps.

"Richard usually takes care of that, but from what I know, it's handed out to the—er—less fortune," Draco said unsurely. "I hope that didn't come off as rude."

"I don't think it did," for a brief moment, Harry looked over at Draco. He was so proud of this man for changing his ways. So proud, in fact, that even words wouldn't do his feelings justice, so Harry decided to just stay quiet about that. "That's a nice thing to do."

Once all the food had been loaded onto the roof of the building (which was higher than Harry had expected), the four of them decided to sit down close to the edge. Before they did however, Hermione pulled a large blanket out of her pocket (charmed, Harry had noticed) and the other three held each corner, helping her to lay it down.

"How long left 'til New Year's?" Ron asked, grabbing himself a muffin.

Hermione waved her wand, and a stream of silver shot out of the end and formed the digits '23:46' before evaporating. "Fourteen minutes."

"Fourteen minutes? What are we going to do for that long up here?" Harry groaned, but as he'd finished speaking, he knew Draco was going to have something to say about that.

"Me," Draco whispered, leaning into Harry which caused him to somehow choke on air, drawing the attention of Ron and Hermione.

"I'm good," Harry said with a forced grin, sticking up his thumb. He then turned to Draco and lowered his voice, "What's gotten into you?"

"You don't like it?" Draco frowned. "I didn't think you were being serious. I can stop if it makes you uncomfortable."

"No! I mean . . ." Harry's brain had been stripped of any coherent response to Draco. He couldn't just admit that he liked that, right? But what if he did? Fuck it. Whatever happens happens. "I love it." The words came out of Harry's mouth in a tone he didn't intend, suggesting something he had never even dreamed of, and now he wanted nothing but to jump off the building.

"Would you also love to be my New Year's kiss, in that case?" Draco spoke in that awfully pleasing tone again. Would he stop? Actually, no. Please don't stop.

"Is that a trick question?" Harry rose an eyebrow.

"It doesn't have to be," smirked Draco. That smooth motherfucker.

Harry's heart fluttered, "Surprise me."

"And what's that supposed to mean?"

"Do whatever you want when the time comes."

As the minutes passed, ticking closer to the New Year, Harry noticed Draco shooting more suggestive smirks at him. What was that supposed to mean? Harry had no clue. All he knew was that the time was dragging on and taking way too much time for his liking.

Mid-conversation with Ron, Harry was cut off by the sound of numerous crackling and sizzling sounds, followed by explosions of rainbow lights painting the sky. Harry completely forgot about everything as the fireworks captured his complete interest.

"Happy New Year!" he heard his friends yell in unison.

Draco placed his hand on Harry's chin and gently, but with a surprising amount of strength, turned his head towards him.