Race One

Lando POV

Bahrain. The first race of the season.

My nerves are on fire. From testing to practice to the qualifying sessions yesterday, everyone knows our car this year is fast. If I could get a win, my first ever race win, that would send a clear message to Ferrari and the world that this year McLaren are not to be messed with. But can I win? Is it within my reach?

I sit in the shade of a big umbrella outside my cabin and sip on electrolyte water, trying some different breathing exercises to calm my mind. The place is buzzing with excitement and I can't wait to get out on track. Qualifying went well. I'll start from third position with Oscar in fifth. In front of me is Carlos with Charles on pole, and behind me is George Russell. I frown and stare at the ground as I try to work out a strategy.

"You okay?" a female voice asks. I turn my head to see Grace walking towards me with a pile of papers.

"What's all that?" I ask suspiciously.

"Oh, nothing to do with you," she smiles. "My dad just asked me to sort some things out."

"Your dad?" I ask. "Is he here?"

Grace blushes, or maybe it's just the heat of the sun in her skin.

"Yeah..." she says. "He came to see the first race of the season and cheer me on. He doesn't understand that I have my own job to do."

"That's sweet of him, but why give you extra work? What are those papers?"

"Uh... My dad is a car salesman. I used to help him before I landed this job. He hasn't worked out how to do everything himself yet."

I nod, looking over the enormous stack. "Just don't forget who actually pays you," I joke.

Grace sends me an obviously fake smile and excuses herself to the hospitality building. Weird, I think to myself. But I don't have time to dwell on it.

The minutes tick by and the paddock fills up with guests, making it impossible to sit outside my cabin any longer. The chatter outside, laughter and cheers, remind me of my nerves.

Inside the garage things only get worse. I look at weather data and listen to my engineers' instructions, trying to repeat the important parts in my head but I'm sure nothing sticks. I'm too stressed, I can't do it. How can I fulfil the potential of this amazing car?

I catch Oscar's eye from across the claustrophobic room. He looks even more terrified than me. It bolsters my confidence.

Out on track, media reporters with cameras battle for my attention. I say a few words here and there but mostly I keep my cap pulled low and my concentration focused on the race. After a few minutes of mingling Will straps me into the car and I take a deep breath as the mechanics run to each side of the track. I haven't started this close to the front of the pack for a long time, so I need all the concentration I can get.

The formation lap finishes far to quickly, we take our positions on the grid, watch the crimson lights turn green, and go.

It's a bloodbath.

Carlos gets a false start, causing George to swerve beside me. He comes up on the outside of the first corner but I just focus on Charles up ahead. I'm in second place. I can do this.

George gets closer and closer to my side, desperately straining to get ahead before we hit the next corner.

And he tags me.

"No!"

The car jolts and my heart leaps to my throat. Adrenaline courses through my body as I reset the wheel, breathing heavily, but Oscar is already ahead. The car can't accelerate fast enough. I check my mirrors, vulnerable.