China

Lando POV

Three races, one pole, zero wins. Of course it could be worse, the car is strong and my team are doing everything they can to finally get me to that top step. I know it'll come. Ferrari are leading the championship so far, but that could all change this weekend.

China.

I've never raced here before and I find the entire place totally overwhelming. The smells, the tastes, the sights and the sounds. Shanghai is putting on a show for us. Worst of all is the food. I'm a man of refined tastes, which Jon calls limited, and anything remotely new or different has the potential to throw me off balance.

That's why I'm so upset when Grace announces another filming session straight after free practice two.

"Tell me it's not food," I groan, traipsing after her to a darkened room. "Please, Grace. I hate food challenges."

Oscar is already in the room when we step inside so I try to pull myself together. I don't want him to hear me complaining, but inside I'm terrified of what Grace is about to say.

"Today we'll be doing a Chinese or Not Challenge!"

I groan. "I said I don't want to eat anything!"

"It's not an eating challenge, for goodness sake," Grace snaps. "It's an animal challenge. I've invited a local zoo to bring some animals for you to see, and you have to guess whether they're native to China."

My tension releases a little, but Oscar seems way too excited.

"What kind of animals?" he chirps.

"Sit down, we'll roll the cameras, and you can find out."

After a brief powdering from a gentle Chinese lady we're ready. It's my turn to do the intro, so I try to explain what I understood of the challenge and then the first beast is carried in.

I recoil in horror.

"Aww!" Oscar coos. The animal handler places the plastic carrier on the table and I shuffle my chair backwards and away. A camera man steps closer to get a good shot of my terrified face.

"This is a grass snake," the handler explains in a softly accented voice. He reaches his hand inside and pulls the nightmare out.

"Can I touch it?" Oscar asks, eyes bright.

"Yes, he doesn't bite."

I cringe as Oscar runs his finger down the back of the snake. It flits its tongue out between its teeth as if it's dying for a snack, and my fingers are not up for grabs.

"Try it Lando," Oscar turns to me with a devilish grin.

"I'm okay," I croak, not taking my eyes off the beast.

"It's not slimy or anything, see? When are you going to get another chance to touch a snake?"

"Hopefully never."

"So is it Chinese, or not Chinese?" the handler asks.

In front of me is a paddle, one side red with a Chinese flag and one side blue with a picture of a globe and China crossed out. I reach forward slowly to pick it up and hold up the blue side.

"I think it's Chinese," Oscar says. "China is so big I'm sure they have some grass snakes slithering about."

"Correct," the handler says. "Grass snakes are native to China."

He packs the creature away and carries the box out of the room. I finally breathe out and look over at Grace.

"How many of these are there?"