Australia

Oscar POV

Australia. My home country, my home town. Everyone is watching and everyone is rooting for me, but I somehow feel less pressure than in the first two races of the season. Everything here is mine. This is my weekend.

The sun beats down and gleams off the lake at the centre of the track. It's beautiful, I only wish I had a bit more time to soak it in before things kick off with practice tomorrow. Between media commitments, a Sky Sports special feature and local news stations and journalists all wanting a piece of their local hero, I'm exhausted by the time I finally flop into the taxi to my hotel.

I have a quick shower and head to the hotel restaurant for a snack, planning an early night. A few of the others are here, as well as a some from other race teams, but I find a table alone and order a quick salad. For once I feel good about myself. For the first time since I came to McLaren, I can say I feel comfortable and confident.

I'm mopping up the last bits of seasoning with a lettuce leaf when a figure plops themselves down in the seat opposite me. I look up, and Grace looks back at me with warm brown eyes.

"Hello," I say warily. The last thing I want is more media duties today.

"Hey, Oscar. Eating on your own?"

"Yep. But I'm done, and I think I want to get an early night. The jet lag hasn't worn off yet."

Grace yawns. "Tell me about it. I just thought I'd come by for a cup of tea, then I saw you sitting here all alone."

She smiles and I guess she's invited herself to sit with me. I push my bowl away and fold my arms on the table in front of me.

"How are you doing?" I ask, trying to steer away from the topic of work. "New job, travelling all the time. Do you miss your family?"

"Not all of them," Grace giggles. "You must be happy to finally be back in Melbourne."

"Oh, definitely. It's the best I've felt so far as a McLaren driver. Like I can finally breathe."

"Something bothering you?" Grace frowns.

"Just... Struggling to make connections, I guess."

"Within the team?"

"Yeah. Sometimes it feels like people are... Against me."

"Are you..." Grace lowers her voice, "are you talking about Lando?"

I nod.

Grace glances around over her shoulder. She leans towards me and I instinctively lean in too.

"You don't have to be friends with Lando, you know," she murmurs. "It's fine if you don't like him, not everyone loves him as much as you think."

"Really? Like who?"

Grace stifles a small smile. "Me, for starters."

I tilt my head. "You don't like Lando?"

"Shh!" she hisses, pulling my head back into our impromptu huddle. "I just want you to know that it's okay not to worship him like everyone else does. Just don't overdo it."

I smile a little, glad for the vindication. It's nice to feel like I'm not the outcast of the group after all. "What do you mean, overdo it?"

"You need to stay likeable, that's all. Don't hide who you are, but you can't hurt the golden boy too much either. You want the team to renew your contract for next season, don't you?"

My stomach sinks. The feeling of vindication vanishes. I'm an outcast again, not even sure of his place next year.

"Yeah," I reply. "Of course I do."