Part 6: Marvin and the Seven of Diamonds

'Man, this place sucks'

He worked in a bookstore/cafe but he wanted nothing more than to just go home and loaf around on his bed and buy books he actually wanted to read.

"Eh Marv!" he boss yelled at him again, "What I tell you about reading on the job!? SELL the damn books, you loafer or you're fired!"

Marvin rolled his eyes, "Alright, alright . . . geez"

He closed the magazine he was reading and looked around the small shop.

There was only a couple of people in there. One was an older woman looking at books about gardening and the other was a young man about his age looking at tarot cards that no one actually ever bought.

His interest peaked. He had a choice to make but he interest waned to the attractive guy looking at the cards. So naturally, he made his way over to him.

"Hey.  . . . finding everything you need today, sir?" he drawled out his greeting.

The man glanced over to him, "Oh . . .yeah . . . hey, which one do you like more? The more traditional ones or the artistic versions?"

Marvin shrugged, "They're just cards. Which ones do YOU like better is more the question you should be asking. Do you LIKE traditional . . . or do you like a little flare?" he wiggled his eyebrows.

The other man snorted, "I like a little flare sometimes" he eyed him up and down, "But why do you think it doesn't matter? Just curious"

Marvin rolled his eyes and shrugged again, "I don't know. I'm not really into this. . . witchcraft sort of stuff . . . but I've HEARD that it's the intensions that matter. . not the product"

The man nodded, "Yeah . . . actually, you're right. For someone who's not into 'witchcraft'" he used his fingers to quote him, "You know some things others wouldn't about it"

Marvin blushed a little, "Yeah, well, I read a lot."

"You strike me as the kind of person who seeks more in life. You like to learn new things"

Marvin suddenly started staring at him strangely, "What? You psycho-analyzing me now?"

The man shrugged, "It's kind of what I do. I'm a fortune teller." he grabbed a pack of traditional tarot cards, "If I buy these, will you let me do your fortune?"

Marvin was hooked now and not just at the man, " . . . Sure. . . those things cost $9. I'll ring ya up." He looked back up front, "Looks like my boss is on his break. We can chill over at the cafe over there if you want and you read me all you like, handsome" he winked.

When he rang him up, they went over to the cafe section of the store and sat down. Marvin got himself a coffee and the man bought a cup of black tea, putting sugar and cream in it.

"You like tainting all your drinks with sugar?" Marvin teased.

The man chuckled, "Sometimes. You always as bitter as your coffee?"

"Touche . . . now how is this done? How long this gonna take?"

"Easy now, easy" he unboxed the cards and shuffled them, closing his eyes, "We need a clean slate, first. I can't just take from the top. I already know what it'll be, otherwise."

Marvin was anxious. He had never done something like this before. He felt almost . .. wrong doing it but that's what you get when you've been raised by nuns in the orphanage. These sorts of things were 'evil' and 'superstitious' to the christian religion.

Not that he was christian. Honestly, after living the way he had to all his life, what god was there to believe in when even the nuns wronged him? Abuse was common where he was raised . . . . but that was all in the past. He was in the present now with this strange, handsome man.