Revision 1-A Few Willing Participants

After rewatching "The Reichenbach Fall", not only has my sympathy and pain for John been reawaken with a vengeance, but I've come to a more stable conclusion on Mycroft's involvement.  I believe that he played more than one part in helping Sherlock fake his death (after all, he is the British government).  Here's how.

First part that Mycroft was involved in:  the phone call to John.  Sherlock needed John out of the way in order to meet Moriarty on the rooftop.  Mycroft was the ideal candidate to help him do that, as he probably has access to unlimited phone numbers, and is capable of blocking them as well.  It would have been simple for Mycroft to get someone to call John and tell him that Mrs. Hudson had been shot.  Obvious, right?

Second part that Mycroft was involved in:  giving Moriarty information.  This part is a little more complex, so bear with me.  I think that Mycroft and Moriarty knew each other before Mycroft took him into custody. Think about it.  Moriarty had Mycroft's personal phone number in "A Scandal in Belgravia (S2, E1)".  If Mycroft is such an important figure in the British government, then how did Moriarty get his phone number?  The answer:  Mycroft has been consulting with the world's only consulting criminal.

If that isn't evidence enough, there is another detail that supports my claim.  When Sherlock and Moriarty are talking to each other at 221B, Moriarty mentions a client list.  Among the clients listed were "government agencies".  He wouldn't say that unless he had done business with government agencies before.  It is very likely that Mycroft was one of them.

Now, if Mycroft knew Moriarty before taking him into custody, then he would know just how much of a mastermind Moriarty was.  Mycroft would never be so stupid as to tell Sherlock's life story to such a genius without a good reason.  Therefore, Mycroft was either lying or, more likely, knew that telling Moriarty Sherlock's life story would benefit him and Sherlock later on.  I don't know exactly how, but there had to be something working in their favor.

This is all fine and good, but how can we prove that Mycroft really is working for Sherlock?  The last words that Mycroft says to John:  "I'm sorry.  Tell him that, won't you?"  If he truly wanted to tell Sherlock that, he would have texted/called him.  The reason he wanted John to tell Sherlock is because Mycroft was actually apologizing to John for not telling him what he and his brother were planning and the pain John would have to go through.

Also, think back to "The Hounds of Baskerville (S2, E2)".  Mycroft helps Sherlock and John break into the army base, if unwillingly.  Notice, however, that he doesn't try to stop them.  All in all, if you think about it, Mycroft has been very useful to Sherlock, and could easily prove his worth again by helping Sherlock fake his death.  It only makes sense that he played some part in it, even if the part was minor.