Fourteen | Puzzle Piece

"I MISS YOU SO much," Kate said while I sat in the center living room, staring at all of my parent's belongings

"I MISS YOU SO much," Kate said while I sat in the center living room, staring at all of my parent's belongings. "Should I come to visit?"

"No, I couldn't ask you to do that. We have so much work to do for the magazine. But," I dragged out the word, "You know I'd never stop you."

"Well, I'm considering flying out because it's lonely without you."

There were well over one hundred books on these shelves and collectibles from their travels. When I arrived a little over a month ago, I was hell-bent on fixing this house with the intention of selling and never returning.

Yet, here I was, dragging out the inevitable.

The house lay untouched—I hadn't packed a single room since arriving, and I slacked on fixing up the exterior the last couple of days. You don't live here anymore; this is not your life; you are here to pack up your past and move on.

I rubbed my face. "Kate, I have no idea what I'm doing."

The line was quiet.

"What do you mean?"

"This was supposed to be a thirty-day ordeal, and I'm a month behind and have commitments that will keep me here even longer. Why the fuck did I get dragged into this fundraiser?"

"Well, considering the stories you've told me about the people who live there, I am not surprised you got suckered in. Is it really that bad, though? This will be the last time you're there, in that house. What is another month or two?"

"So much time away from work and my bed."

"Who cares about work? Even though Larry sucks, he adores you and lets you work virtually for the next year if needed. For how much he doesn't understand, he really understands your situation."

Even though that was the best answer I could receive, it was not the answer I wanted. Part of me wished Larry had forced me to return so I wouldn't feel guilty using work as an excuse.

Then again, the thought of upping and leaving after they announced a fundraiser in my parent's honor seemed like it would cause doomsday, part two.

I could already hear their gossip: Did Ivey Pierce really leave after we planned a charity event in her parent's honor? This was the second time she'd done this despite our effort to celebrate their life. I'm glad she wasn't my child.

Kate cleared her throat. "Are you thinking about keeping the house? You know you're allowed to, right? It's yours now, after all. But if you still plan on selling, you don't have to do it this very moment alone. We will plan another trip and pack up the house together."

A painful lump formed in my throat; despite my best efforts to swallow, it wouldn't go away. My heart swelled at my best friend's words, and loneliness suddenly settled over me like a heavy storm.