Seventeen | Tie Your Boat

TWO DAYS PASSED before I realized Weston had skipped town

TWO DAYS PASSED before I realized Weston had skipped town. Masie hadn't been outside, his car was gone, and the houselights were off.

It was not my place to tell him how to feel or react, but that didn't mean I was not surprised by how much Zoe being back or my keeping her a secret affected him. Something deeper lingered under the surface, and I was caught in the middle.

Still, I felt awful, so I texted; I hope you're okay. To which he replied, be back soon.

During those days I spent alone, I wondered what the hell happened between the two. I was thankful the fundraiser occupied me physically and mentally—for the most part.

With the event less than a week away, my speech was nowhere near complete, I didn't have a dress, and I knew what came after the facade was all over, so I was scrolling through flights on my computer.

"That rain sounds bad," Kate said over the phone.

"Yeah, there is a storm blowing through. The weather has been so nice until now." Neither of us had anything to do today except busy work, and we decided to hang out over the phone and keep each other company, even if that meant not talking for some of the calls.

"I'm really excited to see you again. We'll go to our favorite restaurant, stay up all night, and discuss everything that happened."

I snorted. "I'd like to hear what's happened with you because nothing has happened with me other than this fundraiser."

"Bull," she countered. "I wanna hear about all the dinner dates with Mr. Neighbor Nurse."

Kate was in the dark about Weston leaving and the argument from the other night. Not because I didn't want to tell her but because I had barely wrapped my head around it all, and I planned on venting when I returned to Washington.

"Larry is really proud of the magazine article. Wouldn't be surprised if he hosts a little celebration when you return."

"Oh gosh, tell him I don't want one."

"I think it's more a welcome-back party because he missed you so much."

A welcome back party from a very uneventful trip.

"How do you feel about coming back?"

I closed my laptop slightly and leaned back in the armchair, pressing a fist to my forehead. "I'm excited. I miss home but feel strange leaving again."

"Don't worry too much. Like I said before, we'll plan another trip, and I will come and help you pack everything so you don't have to do it alone." She couldn't see, but I smiled faintly, then said thanks.

"Have you had a chance to visit their memorial?" she asked.

"No, I haven't even gone near the beach. I've been avoiding it like the plague."