Twenty-Two | You're Enough

I WANTED TO SCREAM, but most of all, I wanted to jump out of the boat and send Masie and Weston home so they didn't have to face the wrath that was Mrs

I WANTED TO SCREAM, but most of all, I wanted to jump out of the boat and send Masie and Weston home so they didn't have to face the wrath that was Mrs. Lincoln.

Weston faced me, and the boat slowed. "What the hell is she doing here?"

"No clue." I watched Nora unfold her arms and walk further down the dock. "You guys drop me off and take my boat back to your place."

His expression appeared as if I had insulted him. "Hell no."

I didn't fight Wes as we drifted toward the wooden planks, hopped out, and tied the boat to the moorings.

"Nora, I wasn't expecting you," I said as my sea legs found their strength again.

Nora glanced between Weston and me, then to his house—as if analyzing the situation. Her sunglasses kept her sleek, black hair from blowing in her flawlessly powered face, giving me the perfect view of the irritation woven into every line on her forehead. "I couldn't get a hold of you today."

"I wasn't on my phone."

"I see." Her eyes flickered behind me where Weston stood so fast I almost missed it. I felt the distaste radiating from her. Gone was the pseudo-motherly act, replaced by a pissed-off, gossiping secretary.

"Would you mind if we talked in private?" she asked.

"Uh," I gave myself time to conjure the proper response. "I'm busy, but I can chat for a second here if you want."

"If that's what you'd prefer." Her mouth twisted into a brazen grin—like a wolf bearing its teeth before tearing apart its prey. "In that case, I wanted to speak with you about the fundraiser. Can I be honest with you?"

Did I have a choice?

"Of course."

"Although we raised a great amount of money for the cause, I'm actually quite displeased with how the night played out, as were many other guests."

My throat went dry. "Displeased?"

"Ivey—" She stepped toward me, taking my hands. "Don't take this the wrong way, but people are beginning to suspect that you had a very poor relationship with your parents, which I know is untrue." Her tone made it sound like she was in my defense. "I tried to tell them otherwise, but considering you ran off last night, it doesn't look great."

A scoff sat, lodged in my throat. A poor relationship? What the hell was she talking about?

"I needed a moment alone."

"Yes, but you were supposed to join me on stage for the donation reveal."

"I—"

She cut me off. "I didn't want to have to tell you this because I have this motherly urge to protect you, but, honey, you've been very selfish lately, and I think it's time you were told for your own good."