Chapter 22: Chloe

I got into bed as Elliott ordered me to do every night. When we got settled, he broke the silence. "What were you talking to that scum about?"

I instantly felt fear and regret. I didn't know if he would believe me if I lied. "Just um... about Kai. Our old roommate. He's picked for Claire today, so I know that I was worried about him is all."

He didn't seem to believe me that much, as I expected, but he didn't say anything. Soon, he fell asleep. I was having a hard time going to sleep, so I just sat there with my eyes open, thinking about things. About how everything was going.

I thought about how Cal might save me. But then again, if Elliott is a god, Oden to be exact, will he be able to be killed? If so, why is he still alive? And why did the legend lie? That was a big question that I had. Why was the legend wrong? It was given to us by Sarah herself. It was passed down to Claire to tell everyone else. Unless Claire lied.

I was thinking about everything for so long. And then I fell asleep.

I was standing in a light room. It wasn't like normal walls. Everything around me was gone. But the surroundings were all light. And then my eyes adjusted slightly. It wasn't exactly normal. The walls had a glow to them. There was a door in front of me. I walked toward it and opened it. When I did, I saw a marble floor that led to a bedroom with a holographic globe in front of the bed.

As I walked forward, I realized that I was aware that I was dreaming. But I couldn't control myself. It was more like a memory. But I never actually lived this. So whose memory was it?

I sat down in front of the globe, sitting on my knees, and looked into it. My vision seemed to zoom in on it until I was watching a male Great One with Blue hair in a long ponytail. He seemed happy. He was smiling and really nice. His voice was warm and he looked welcoming. He looked exactly like Elliott. Except he seemed happier. So it couldn't be him.

I heard a voice calling a name. But I couldn't hear the name. It was like it was blurred out. Censored in a way. "Hey, $#^&*@!, do you wanna-"

The person controlling my movements quickly looked at the man in surprise, and I immediately recognized him as Oden. He was... naked? Except he had no private parts. He had no nipples, and instead of genitals, it was just smooth skin.

Before I could hear a response, I woke up. It was the middle of the night. I looked around, confused and panicked. I looked next to me and saw Elliott sleeping. His eyes seemed to be flickering. It was like they were disappearing slightly. He wasn't able to keep his form exact when he was sleeping.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. Who's memories were that? And why was Elliott in his god form? Was that one of the gods? If so, then why was she watching a human? And how? None of the gods were alive when the humans were created aside from Sarah, and she didn't have any markings on her body. Unless the legend was wrong.

I felt the bed shift. I jolted and looked at Elliott. He was now on his side. I sighed in relief. It's not that I was doing anything wrong, but Elliott got mad over a lot of small things, like sitting up while he's trying to sleep.

I looked at the window at the right side of the room. I wish I could escape. If I could just jump out, I would be free. I would die, but I would be free. I could get away from this life. I could maybe be reborn as a Great One, or maybe a scorekeeper. Or maybe I would be another bodyguard but I would be sent to someone good. Maybe Della.

I looked up at the ceiling. Why didn't I just leave? Why didn't I just end this all? I looked at Elliott. I watched as his peaceful face flickered. He looked much more relaxed than usual. He always seemed to have a wrinkle in between his brows. And he always seemed mad. But now he seemed more humane.

I looked back at the window. I could leave. I could be free. I looked back at Elliott sleeping. I watched his chest lightly move. I watched as he breathed, just as a human would. I felt my own heart beating. I felt myself breathing. I could smell the slight soap in Elliott's hair. All of my senses seemed to have heightened as I thought about my next decision. Run. Or stay.

I looked at the window. Then laid back down next to the person that would keep me in his possession for thousands of years. I have made my decision.