Chapter 30: Chloe

It was my fault that Cal and Della lost their home. If I hadn't stopped Cal from poisoning Elliott, he never would have attacked their mansion. And now he's planning on doing the same thing to everyone else. I feel horrible. But I still can't get myself to agree to killing him.

Elliott was still sitting at his desk, like normal. Except now, he was talking to me. "I thought for sure that would kill her. And then her bodyguard would be executed. It was right in her room!"

I was sitting on the foot of the bed. Elliott then looked at me. "What do you think, Chloe? What should I try next?"

My eyes widened. I didn't think he would ask me about it. What should I say? I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. I was scared of what he would say if I answered. But then he laughed. "I'm just kidding! I don't actually want your opinion. It's not like you're smart or anything. You're not even that strong."

I felt pain as he said that. That wasn't true.

3 Years ago~

I walked down the hallway into the scorekeeper's office. I was scared. No one was called into the scorekeepers office unless they were either claimed or getting executed. And I didn't know which one that was.

I knocked on the door and kneeled. I kept my head low as the door opened. I heard the elderly man's voice. "Come in, Chloe."

I stood up and saluted him before I walked in. He pulled out a chair for me and I was confused. The scorekeeper is a strict man who barely speaks. He's never the type to show respect to lower ranks. But now, he was acting like I was above him.

I sat down in the chair and sat up straight and respectful. I listened to what he had to say. "So, Chloe. I know that by now, you are technically 16, but since twins have their birthdays a few weeks apart, you are legally 15." I nodded. I didn't say anything, but I still wondered why he had called me in here.

"I am looking at you, not as a lower rank, but as an equal, Chloe." My eyes widened when he said this. My muscles tensed up and I wondered what was going on. "I have never, in my whole 80 years of working as a scorekeeper, been this proud of a student."

Then he got up and moved out from behind the desk, and knelt before me. I gasped and stood up, ready to run. I didn't expect it. He looked up at me and I saw a smile on his face. No one had ever seen a smile on his face before. "I, Jaksu Emmins, want to personally congratulate you for being the first trainee bodyguard to beat all of the training exercises at only 15 years old. Not even an 18-year-old could do it."

I felt my own stop at his words. I had trained so hard for it. But I never thought that I was getting anywhere. I mean, when I was younger, I just wanted to be Elliott's bodyguard, but now, I just want to be good at what I do. I didn't think I was that good.

I stumbled back. "W-... Wait what?"

He got up and put his hands behind his back, still smiling. "As a result of your accomplishments, we would like to reward you handsomely." I swallowed hard as he continued. "We would like you to pick a new dorm room to share. Any of them."

I didn't know what to say. I felt like someone would come in and laugh at me if I answered, telling me that it was all a joke and I fell for it. I thought maybe I would wake up and it was all a dream. Maybe I was transferred to a different universe. Or maybe the scorekeeper was drunk. Even though alcohol was illegal and has been for thousands of years.

I felt myself sweating. The scorekeeper was still smiling. "Well? What do you say? Do you want to pick one right now?"

I tried to get out some words, but I couldn't help but stutter. "A-Are... Are you serious?"

He nodded. "I know it's big news, but you did it. Congratulations, Chloe."

I licked my lips and looked down. "I know what room I want. I want to be in room 1435."

He nodded his head. "Ah! Yes. I know that room. Cal Madden and Kai Fisha. Good choice, their roommate just graduated. I think his name was Michael."

After a few more words were exchanged, he escorted me to my room and I packed my things, not bothering to say bye to my old roommate who didn't care less about where I was or what I was doing. Then I was brought to Cal's room. I couldn't wait to see him again.

When I was standing outside the door, I held my bags and kept my head low, still nervous about the whole thing. When the door opened, I was greeted and the scorekeeper left after explaining that I was transferred. Cal wasn't there. It was just his friend, Kai. He was so cute! I talked to them all the time during training and we were amazing friends.

Kai congratulated me when I told him about what happened. I unpacked my things and waited for Cal. Kai told me that he was talking to the teacher about his test, which was in 2 days. I sat on my bed and talked with Kai before Cal arrived.

I was talking to him about training when the door opened. I looked up to see Cal standing there. He smiled. "Hey! The scorekeeper stopped me in the hallway. I heard about your accomplishment. Great job!"

I smiled. "Thanks, Cal!"

He closed the food behind him and walked forward. "Just think, my twin sister, the amazing Chloe Madden, as the strongest bodyguard in the world!"