Chapter 28: Cal

Della turned around as we all got to the meeting room door. She looked at me with a fearful smile. "Cal, can you get me some tea, please?"

I saluted. "Yes, My Great One."

Elliott scoffed and turned to the door. "Get me some as well, mutt."

I turned, ignoring Elliott's last comment. But I smirked to myself as I walked off. He wouldn't be making those remarks anymore. He won't be saying anything anymore. But in all reality, I feel like these thoughts are just my way of coping with what I'm about to do.

I walked down to the kitchen and told the guards about what I was ordered to do and they let me in the kitchen after I explained that Della feels safe when her own bodyguard makes it.

When I knew that no one was looking, I took the powder out of my pocket and poured it in the left cup. I mixed it in like sugar and waited until it was dissolved. I then put in sugar in the other cup and mixed it in as well.

I took the two cups on a tray and then brought them back up the stairs. As I got up the stairs, Chloe was standing at the top. She still looked upset. I got to the top step and stood there. Chloe was looking down. I tried to go past her but she moved in front of me. "Wait."

She looked up at me. "I changed my mind. Not because I want to live but... I don't want him to die."

My eyes widened. "...Why?"

Her fists clenched and she started to tear up. "I can't tell you. But I don't want him to die. I'm fine with this life. I'm fine without being free."

I tried to think of what to say. But I was already set on this. Della was already set on this. We needed to do it. No matter what happens.

I shook my head. "No, Chloe. I'm doing it. Then we will try to transfer you to Della. It will be fine."

Chloe looked more afraid. "You don't understand! I don't care about my own fate! I don't want Elliott to die! I-" She stopped, her eyes widening as if she realized she was about to tell me something rash.

I gulped. "What?"

She took a deep breath and then looked at me with determination, as if she was completely sure now. "Because I love him. Don't you understand? I don't want Elliott to die because I love him."

I stepped forward, toward her. "I am doing this, Chloe. WE are doing this. And I don't care what you say now. But you do not love that man. He is forcing you to believe that. I am saving you from this life. And I am saving US from this life." I took a deep breath. "Get out of my way, Chloe."

I expected her to obey me. She always did as we said. She always lets people walk all over her. She let them use her and do what they want. I didn't expect it when she ignored my command. She put her arm up and next to her, blocking my path. When I saw the look in her eyes, I knew she was serious. I could tell that Chloe was hiding something. There was more to it than just what she told me.

Chloe then took the tray from me and told the bodyguard that was standing by the bedroom door to stay by my side. He did as he was told. He stayed quiet until Chloe was out of sight. And then he turned to me. "I heard about the plan from Chloe. And I know why she doesn't want you to do it."

My eyes widened. "Why?"

He shook his head. "I can't tell you. But I want you to know that it was a good thing she stopped you. You would never have succeeded."

After that, Chloe walked back up the stairs and handed the tray to me. I walked with her to the meeting room door and knocked on it. I put my head down and then Elliott answered the door. He took the tray and slammed the door.

I waited silently outside the door until it opened again, a while later. Della came out, confused. She brought me to the front door and wondered why I hadn't stopped by Elliott's room. When the door had closed behind us, I explained what happened to Della. "Chloe went back on the plan. She wouldn't let me take the poison to him. And then she had me stand next to a bodyguard so I couldn't plant the explosive."

Della's eyes widened as I told her. "But she might not have died! We could have saved her and transferred her to me! She doesn't have to live like this!"

I stopped in front of the vehicle. "I told her that. But she told me that she was in love with him."

Della went silent. I opened the door for her to get inside. I got in after her. Della put her hands on her lap. "How could she be in love with a man like that?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. All I do know is that we need a new plan. We have to get this world to change. If we don't, we don't know what could happen."

Della shifted in her seat. "Cal?"

I looked at her. "Hm?"

She looked at me. "Something is wrong with Elliott. When I was in the meeting room with him, I noticed something off. It looked like his eyes flickered. And not only that. His marking flickered too. As if he were trying to flex a muscle for a long time but got tired. He..." She stopped, thinking of the right words. "He didn't seem human."