The Pollywog

...

"See? Zoomer."

...

The next morning Liv, Max, and Lucas were walking the halls together. Max was asking to many questions about Will so Liv and Lucas tried their best to answer them without giving away to much information

"I still don't get why they call him zombie boy. I mean, I get it. He got lost in the woods for a week or something, but why is he a zombie? Because everyone thought he was dead?" Max wondered.

"Yeah. I mean, we had a funeral for him and everything." Liv answered.

"After a week?" Max incredulously asked.

"Well, see, some other kid drowned at the quarry. We thought it was Will because his body was super decomposed." Lucas explained.

"What? Okay, that's not funny." Max said.

"It's not a joke, all right? It's public knowledge. You can ask anybody." Lucas told her.

"Except Will, because he is really sensitive about it." Liv added.

Max stared at her in disbelief before nodding. "Okay."

...

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time. Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head." Mr Clarke drew a line through the skull that was projected onto the board.

Liv turned around in her seat when she felt a pair of eyes on her. Her eyes met with Max's ocean blue eyes that could make anyone fall head over heels for her and that's exactly what they were doing to Liv. Max quickly removed her gaze from Liv and looked out the window. Liv shrugged it off and turned back to face the front of the room.

"Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was. But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality. So much so that friends that knew him started referring to him as 'No longer Gage'. At the time, this was known as the American Crowbar Case. Although it wasn't a-"

Mr Clarke stopped talking when Dustin bursted into the room. Everyone's heads turned to look at him.

"I am so sorry, Mr Clarke. Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class." Dustin panted as he sat down in his seat next to Liv. "Don't mind me. Really, continue, please. Thanks."

"Although it wasn't a crowbar it was a rod, as I said." Mr Clarke continued.

"We have to meet. All of us. At lunch, AV Club." Dustin whispered to Mike, Lucas, Will, and Liv.

"Why?" Mike quietly asked.

"I have something that you won't believe." Dustin whispered back.

The others nodded as they went back to listening to Mr Clarke while Dustin turned around and whispered something to Max.