XXV| Emotional Baggage

Italics: French

●▬▬▬▬▬ ⋆🕊️🇬🇧⋆ ▬▬▬▬▬●

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᴵᴺᴳ : Roots

"Ask me where I come from, 

I'll say a different land"

The sunny and warm atmosphere of Monaco made it easy to forget that my visit was for work and not just a vacation

The sunny and warm atmosphere of Monaco made it easy to forget that my visit was for work and not just a vacation. It was challenging to stay focused in such a luxurious and expensive place like Monte Carlo, where relaxation seemed to be in the air.

Robyn Saunders found it easy to forget she was there to work, if you could even call it that. Sometimes it felt more like a dream or getting paid to do your favourite things in the world; drive race cars, have fun friendships, annoy the media and adore fans.

Robyn also couldn't help but admire how much Charles Leclerc loved the place he grew up; it was clear from how he spoke about it as he drove the two of them through the city. Not many people knew that Robyn was staying with Charles as she didn't want it to get around to the media — everyone knew what they would say about it.

Carlos Sainz knew; he and Robyn had a good friendship that developed naturally through sibling-like behaviours. It was always fun for people to watch them interacting, especially if they were graced with Lando's presence.  George also knew, considering he knew most things Robyn did anyway, that he spent too much time with her and noticed changes in her patterns.

While George knew Robyn more than any single person outside of her family, it often meant that he knew too much. Sometimes, Robyn needed someone just to be there, not to be her lifelong friend who wanted to solve all her life problems. Robyn and George were practically siblings and there were always things you didn't want to tell your siblings or have them around for, despite loving them.

The truth was that her visit to her grandparents had deeply upset Robyn. She realised how much she truly wanted them to love her for who she was, not by how popular she would make them. She was upset that after all this time, Oliver and Ashley weren't good enough for them. Their family ignored their traditions and they hated it. Ashley dated all genders (something they didn't agree with), Robyn had a 'man's' career and Oliver chose his family over his career (something he wasn't supposed to do).

When would anyone be good enough?

Was it Robyn's existent causing the problems in the first place?

"Robyn, you've been staring at that wall for an hour, I do not think it's that interesting," Charles commented as he sat beside her.

"Why do I ruin everything?"

Her words were blunt and would revive the sharp edge of a knife, yet filled with so much hidden pain and raw emotion, bottled up until it exploded.