Chapter 10

Unknown added you to a Group Chat.

I glance at my phone as I take a bite out of the caprese salad before me.

Unknown: Dear Gemma, This, is Tina. Tina from Perusing Port. We had met earlier in the day yesterday. I retrieved your cell phone number from Logan. Stefanie mentioned it was okay. We would like to include you in our group chat. Thank you again for joining the team and we look forward to working with you over the next couple of weeks. With lots of love, Tina

I smile as I read the text that is supplemented with about twenty emojis.

Unknown: Tina! We went over this. Stop typing like a grandma. You don't have to sign off your name each time you send a text message! We know it's you! Also, hi Gemma! This is James. :)

Tina: Dear James, my apologies. I forget what the protocol is these days. All the best,

Unknown: Eeek! How exciting! Welcome to the group chat Gemma! This is Stefanie. And girlie, get ready, we're going to have a team event this week! James is head of culture so he's going to decide what we do.

James: Oh shoot. I forgot about that, what does everyone want to do?

A stream of ideas flow through the chat and Billy and Pedro introduce themselves as well. The only other number that doesn't chime in is already in my contacts list, under "Hot Date."

A snort escapes me before I roll my eyes. I open a new text entry and message the mischievous contact.

Gemma: Hot date huh? Really trying to push this agenda of yours.

Hot Date: I knew you'd look for me under that name!

Gemma: In your dreams! Your staff included me in your group chat. They're... very welcoming. Are they always like this?

Hot Date: Yes. Are you sure you want to still help us? They can be a little much sometimes. It's borderline agitating really.

Gemma: Haha yeah, it's fine. It's kind of sweet actually. They are rolling out the red carpet for me.

Hot Date: Good. Did you decide where we're meeting tonight to talk about the game plan?

Gemma: Yes! Meet me at Stella Barra at 7 PM. Don't be late.

Hot Date: I'm never late.

***

Logan is not only late, but now he's a liar. I tap my foot before I begin pacing outside of the dimly lit restaurant.

God, why did it have to be so dimly lit? He's definitely not going to let down on that date thing.

The brisk summer evening wind breezes past me, sending a shiver down my spine. I texted Logan multiple times but receive no response. He better show.

Right before I'm about to call, a deep voice shouts out behind me. "Hey."

I turn around with a scowl. "You're late." I try not to stare too closely at a slightly out of breath Logan who is freshly showered and looking even more handsome than ever. Stop it, Gem. Don't think of him like that.

"Chill, it's four minutes past seven. Let's head in." He brushes past and opens the door for me.

As soon as we step in, the wondrous scents of the place I heard so much about fill my senses. I unlock my phone and jot down a couple of notes about the entry experience.

"What are you doing?" Logan asks, seeing the essay I'm beginning to write.

"I have to work tonight. It's fine though. We can still talk. I'll just have to pause every now and then to take notes. I hope that's okay."