Kenshin's Flame: Phantasma's Fear

It was not just Bastian who had made calculations.

"At the moment, I am at least 5 times stronger than I was before. And that does not include Unjust Augury. After some more processing, I should be manifold stronger. The calculating ability of the Medici Matrix you have created. It's dangerous if this gets into the wrong hands…"

As Kenshin's voice trailed off, Bastian's face became solemn. Kenshin's words struck a chord in Bastian, "I feel you bro, but we have no choice. We have to go all out to survive. I've set up everything within the Medici Area to self-destruct if we ever get an uninvited guest in here. It's at the core of the Nine Mountains Symposium as well."

"I can see that, but we need to take extra precautions. At least with this, we have a fighting chance at actually reaching the peak."

Kenshin opened his palm, and a pale blue flame came out dancing on his palm. The flame was small but emitted an eerie chill that made Bastian's skin crawl.

"This is the Slashing Yin Flame. It is a yin-type flame meant to augment those who use blade-type weapons. It makes weapons sharper and allows me to emit energy over a long range. It also has extra traits, such as a mental suppression effect that can make one sluggish, as if they are being frozen slowly. It can also reduce temperature although these effects are weak at cultivation as low as mine."

The flame started to flicker violently after Kenshin had spoken, with spots of black appearing within

"I've looked through my own memories and adjusted my skill level. If I activate Unjust Augury and use the Doom Wraiths as a source of energy, this occurs."

The flames' colour changed drastically, becoming darker and darker, with the blots of black spreading like a virus all over the shapeless mass of negative energy.

The temperature around the duo started to dip drastically. As the Medici Network was active, Bastian was receiving data from Kenshin through the Medici Area and from Area itself directly. Nothing within the Area could escape his senses. And he was stunned by what he was witnessing.

"The suppression effect has evolved to being an all-out mental attack, similar to what the wraiths produce. The flames not only slow one down, but have gained an ability to freeze that can rival liquid nitrogen. 

This is a suspicion, but with this flame, we should not only be able to attack metaphysical creatures like ghosts, but we should be able to even freeze, perhaps even space itself. For example, the Falsified Daughters will no longer be intangible beings to us. 

I suspect that as long as this flame is present, they can't use their mystical illusory arts."

Bastian responded by releasing a burst of unrestrained laughter, one that caused the ever-somber Kenshin to frown. Kenshin felt that his partner was perhaps taking things too lightly.

"I knew your flames would get a boost since the wraiths are beings of concentrated yin energy, but freezing space! The applications of that are endless. If we reverse the nature of the energy through Unjust Augury, changing yin to yang as I did to the wraiths, doesn't that mean your flames could burn space?"

Bastian's Idea caused Kenshin to pause. 

"Burning space? What does that even mean?"

"No one knows what it means! But it's provocative! It gets the mind racing with possibilities!"

As Kenshin mulled over Bastian's crazy idea, Bastian put a palm on his compatriot's shoulder.

"Mark my words brother. You will become a true dragon slayer after tomorrow's battle. It won't just be me who has a special mark on their body. If my plan works of course."

Bastian's words stunned Kenshin. Within the Area, his computational abilities were magnified so he came to a quick conclusion.

'This crazy bastard, before we slay the beast tomorrow he wants to awaken its True Dragon blood so I can receive a dragon slayer mark!'

The giant hooded figure in front of Phantasma was naturally Kenshin with Unjust Augury flames activated. He had covered himself with them to properly suppress Phantasma. For the experienced Kenshin, disappearing from Tino's watchful eye was child's play

'She is the most arrogant of Tino's lieutenants. If she is convinced, the others will fall in line as well. If we can convince the Falsified Daughters that we have a powerful backer, then The Thunder Tiger Empire will be forced to behave.'

Although Tino seemed to respect Bastian, that respect came from an unknown source and seemed to only be limited to Tino and Guy. Their subordinates were not part of the Bastian fan party. But they had to be convinced. Bastian wanted to make sure that the Empire would not take him lightly. In. a world where humans could split skies with a wave of a sword, reputation meant power.

"Child of the Falsified." 

Kenshin's words had been altered by Unjust Augury flames. The sound was distorted as the space around it had been disturbed by the flames. Bastian was confident that no mortal could trace this voice to Kenshin's. 

Phantasma was spooked to reality and quickly bowed. Her mystic arts had failed her while her World Energy slowed down. Physically she felt like she was in a cold quagmire while mentally she felt like she was in a nightmare.

No matter what she did she could not calm herself and she did not know why.

'My qi is slowing down along with my movements. What sort of power is this?'

She found herself unable to draw any qi, in other words, she was becoming no different from an ordinary mortal with time.

She found herself starting to feel intense cold. As if she was an ordinary human exposed to snow without any clothing. 

Kenshin's eyes were not visible, but she felt as if she was being stared at by a legion of gazes. Unjust Augury could not just upgrade the Slashing Yin flame, it could also carry the intent of the Doom Wraiths outside the Area.

'This isn't just intent. Something else is causing me to become instinctually afraid. As if I'm starting at my natural predator.'

Phantasma had no doubt, that from this day, there was no human she would fear more than this man. He wasn't the most powerful being she had ever seen, but he was without a doubt the most frightening. Such was the effect of the Doom Wraith's aura.