Everyone has a motive

3rd person POV:

Jessica was sitting on her bed with an ice pack on her face. After the interaction with Amity she went straight home not wanting to deal with the embarrassment. "I cant believe that prick slapped me", she said throwing the ice pack at the wall. "Jessica sweetie, remember, throwing things is not how we deal with our anger", Jessica's mom called from down stairs.

Jessica got up and went to open the door. "Whatever mom", she said before slamming it. She huffed a breath of frustration. "Don't slam the doors either", her mom added. "ALRIGHT MOM", she yelled. Shortly after her mom began to speak again but Jessica put in her headphones to drown her mother out.

She heard her muffled voice say no yelling but she payed no mind to it. She was listening to her playlist that she used to calm herself down. She believed stress and anger would give her wrinkles and that's the last thing she wanted.

After finally relaxing she heard two voices downstairs. She couldn't pinpoint the other one but it sounded like a man. Realization hit her. "Oh no not him", she said dreading the presence of the man downstairs. She took out her headphones and went down to see what was going on.

When she got down there she saw a tall man with long blonde hair with highlights that was in a ponytail. He was wearing a blue suit and had a satchel across his body. In one hand he was holding a brief case. He noticed her and spoke. "Well hello Jessica. It's nice to see you again". Jessica rolled her eyes.

She couldn't stand his accent. "Hi Phillip", she replied. "Cant say the same about you", she mumbled. "Jessica what did I tell you about your attitude", her mother spoke. "No hun it's okay, some teenagers need rebellion to have a good childhood", Phillip spoke with a smile on his face. "Isn't that right Jessica", he said looking at her. Something about the way he looked seemed off and Jessica did not like it. "Sure..", she replied.

Jessica's mom announced that dinner would be done soon and this gave Jessica time to go back to her room. When she got there she decided to call someone. The phone rang as she paced back and forth. Finally someone answered.

"Finally, it took you forever", she said to the person on the other line. "You barely gave me a chance to answer", the other voice said. Jessica went and placed herself on her bed. "Whatever. I need a distraction and you're the best and only option", Jessica said.

She started braiding strands of her hair while she talked. "What's going on?", the person asked. Jessica groaned and laid back. "Phillip is here. I don't even know why he came back". "Did he go on another business trip?", the voice asked. "What do you think?", Jessica asked rolling her eyes. "Why come back if you're gonna just keep leaving?". "Well you don't even like him so why does it matter?", the voice on the phone asked.

"It's not about me, it's about my mom. Believe it or not, I care about her and that man already left us so I can't let her get hurt by another one", Jessica said sincerely. "Wow, I've never heard you say something with that much sincerity", the person joked. "Shut up", Jessica replied, laughing a little. "Maybe you should talk to him, let him know how it is", they suggested.

Jessica thought about it for a second. "Yeah, you're right. After dinner I'll talk to him", Jessica said getting up. "Thank you by the way". "Of course, let me know how it goes, byeee". The call ended and Jessica headed down stairs. She saw her mom and Phillip seated at the table waiting for her.

"Jess honey, come sit. Phillip was just telling me about the places he seen on his trip", Jessica's mom said. "Well it wasn't that many. A trip back to Europe isn't that big of a deal dear", Philip said. "I'm just happy to be here with you". He placed his hand onto Jessica's mom's. Jessica could gag if she wanted to, and she did want to.