PROLOGUE.

Ring ring ringgggggg!!!!!!

I awaken to the sound of this death bell of an alarm my Aunt Anna got me for my birthday last year. I still wonder why I haven't thrown it out yet. Oh right, it's glued to my drawer.

Classic aunt Anna.

I groan as I sit up on my bed. Wait...something is odd. Normally, I would wake up to my parents arguing but it's awfully quiet today. The thought of my parents murdering each other comes to mind. I quickly get up to find a long t-shirt and shorts to wear. The last thing I want for our house is to be the center of attention, we are already odd enough as it is.

I reach the fifth stair and I smell something burning.

Oh no, don't tell me they burnt themselves to death!

I rush down the stairs and into the kitchen only to find out it is just my mum's terrible cooking. I see her standing there, backing me and I look around but no Dad.

I hope what happened is not what I'm thinking.

"Where's Dad?" I ask.

She jumps like I startled her but doesn't turn. I could already tell she was deep in thought.

She lets out a sniff as she walks past me and pours some food on a plate, not giving me answers, probably thinking of a lie to tell me, but when she looks up at me, her eyes look puffy.

She wasn't deep in thought at all.

She was crying.

"He went out for a bit." She lies, trying to take back the tears in her eyes.

"So he's gone, for good?" I ask, uninterested.

She stares at me, obviously surprised with what I said.

Well, it would not be the first time he'll leave and say he's not coming back which he does everytime.

"Your father is not gone, he just went out for a bit." Her voice clearer this time.

I roll my eyes and walk out of the kitchen.

"You know I tried to talk to him for you," I halted. "He is still upset about you moving to Benrov for college and I was just trying to make him understand that it's what you want but it seems like you don't even care about my efforts..."

"So that's what this is all about?" I turned. "Do you honestly think I care?! Well, let me make it clear to you. I don't. I don't care one bit!" I scoff.

"Kyla Serena Summers, do not talk like th..."

"Don't talk like what,mum?! Huh?!" I feel the anger burning in me.
"How many times have I told you guys to just drop this topic?!, I'm moving to Benrov for college and that's it." I clearly state again. For the millionth time.

"I already got in. Can you change that?"

"But I still don't get why you can't go a college closer to your family. Why you have to go so far..."

"You wanna know why?! So I can get away from you and him!!" I say on top of my voice.

She stares in bewilderment.

"You always told me to get a life anyways and that's what I'm doing. How can I stay in a place where I'm sure I won't be happy? You've changed. You've both changed. I worked extra hard and graduated early just to satisfy you and dad but that was never enough. I got into college and now you're saying I can't go? I'm leaving and that's the end of it." I say and make my way upstairs.

I never really expected them to understand. This topic has been over three months now. If they don't want it, that's their problem.

Seventeen sucks.

Some parents. I've wanted them to understand me for the longest time already and I'm getting sick of trying. Well they've given me enough reason to believe that they would never understand so no surprise there. Now I'm moving to another state, another city, another town all alone.

As much as I don't want it to suck, it sucks. The 12-hour drive might as well be worth it.

Sometimes I think parents say things to their children that even THEY can't understand. It's a shame. Some kids kill their parents in the middle of the night, but I'm obliged to feel something towards mine. It's a lot of emotional stress on my side and since all they ever do is insult and fight themselves. Fortunately for me, I'll be leaving for college soon and I'll make sure I do because I don't think I want to spend anymore time with these hoodlums called parents.

And I'm glad I'm an only child. I wouldn't want all this drastic drama for another innocent kid.

I go up to my room and scatter through the clothes in my already packed luggage when my phone starts vibrating on the drawer.

It's Dad. I sigh.

Isn't leaving enough? That he has to torture me with phone calls. Isn't having someone as ignorant as him as a father punishment enough?

Ignoring my phone, I fetch out a black shirt and shorts from my already packed luggage, getting ready to take a shower.

My phone vibrates on the drawer again, singing out my usual ringtone.

Okay, if he's gonna keep calling me, it better be to apologize for being a shitty father or only god knows what I'll say to him.

"Yes?" I hesitantly pick up my phone.

"WHAT have I told about taking my car out for late night rides without my permission, huh?!" He yells over the phone. "It's all scratched up now!"

"Wow." Unbelievable. " WELL NEXT TIME, DON'T FUCKING TAKE YOUR DRUNK ASS AND DRIVE AT NIGHT!" I hang up and threw my phone on the bed.

Urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Why do these people love getting on my nerves?!

That's it. I'm going to Mackenzie's. She's the one driving us there anyways. The only person who I can lean back on and share their shenanigans with.

I take my shower and step in front of my mirror and sigh. I got dressed, put on my black Crocs and carried my luggages and I'm out of my room.

As I walk towards the door, my mother's tone stops me.
"Where do you think you're going, Kyla?" My hands turns cold.

I sigh. "Mackenzie's. I'll stay with her until we leave for Benrov. Oh and tell dad if he ever comes back that I didn't scratch his car, he did." Without letting her put a word in, out the door I went.

I am not giving her a chance to scold me out of going.

⊙⁠﹏⁠⊙

Hey readers, first official release shivers!

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy this mediocre entry 🤧

I didn't want to edit this much cos of those who have read and commented and just in general so um...

Read,Vote, comment and share. Thank you.

Muah.