8. Whispers of the Storm.

Within the hour, Agent Emma arrived at the apartment, her presence a solemn reminder of the seriousness of the situation. Kyla noticed the same stern focus in Emma's eyes that she'd seen when dealing with major cases back at the bureau.

"Tell me everything about last night," Emma instructed, her notebook ready. As Kyla recounted the evening, the details of Jacob's visit, and the places she'd searched, Emma listened intently, occasionally interjecting with a question.

After Kyla finished, Emma surveyed Mackenzie's room, noting the slight disarray. "We'll start by securing the area and checking for any signs of forced entry," she stated methodically. "We'll also need to speak with your boyfriend Jacob. See if you could ask him to come to the station?"

Kyla nodded, the fear and fatigue etched deeply across her face. She felt a mix of relief and escalating fear now that the authorities were involved, the comforting routine of life shattered by the mysterious disappearance of her best friend.

Emma's expression hardened as she took in every detail. "I want to assure you, Kyla, we're going to do everything we can to find Mackenzie. I need you to try and stay calm and be available for any further questions we might have. Can you do that for me?" she asked, her tone both gentle and commanding.

Kyla swallowed hard, nodding. "Yes, I'll do whatever it takes," she replied, her voice steadier than she felt.

Agent Emma's car pulled away from the building, her mind already racing through possible scenarios, a grim determination settling over her features. This was no ordinary missing person's case, and she sensed it might be connected to the murders. As she drove back to the office to begin her investigation, the weight of the unfolding mystery pressed down on her, promising that the coming days would bring more questions than answers.

As Agent Emma left the apartment, Kyla pulls out her phone and dials Jacob's number, needing his comfort in this unsettling time."Hey, Kyla," Jacob answered after a couple of rings, his voice tinged with concern.

"Jacob, can you come over?" Kyla's voice trembled slightly.

"Of course, I'll be right there," Jacob replied without hesitation.

A short while later, Jacob arrived at the apartment. Kyla greeted him at the door, her eyes searching his face for any sign of comfort or concern.

"Ready to go?" Jacob asked gently, noticing her outfit choice-a casual but stylish ensemble that reflected her attempt to maintain normalcy amid the chaos.

"Yeah, let's go," Kyla replied, locking the door behind her.

They drove to the police station in silence, the tension palpable. Jacob's grip on the steering wheel was tight, his thoughts a swirl of anxiety. Kyla, meanwhile, stared out of the window, lost in her own thoughts.

Upon reaching the station, they were greeted by Agent Emma, who led them to separate rooms for their statements. As Jacob entered the interrogation room, he felt a knot tighten in his stomach. He knew he had to act normal, but the weight of his secret threatened to crush him.

Kyla, in her room, recounted the details of Mackenzie's disappearance, her voice steady but her eyes betraying her worry. Emma listened carefully, jotting down notes as Kyla spoke.

After what felt like hours, they were both done. As they left the station, Jacob put his arm around Kyla, offering what little comfort he could.

"We'll find her, Kyla," Jacob whispered, his voice soft.

"I know," Kyla replied, leaning into him. "I just wish we knew where to start."

As they talked, Agent Emma was across town, poring over the case files that cluttered her desk. Her phone rang, and she picked it up immediately, recognizing the number.