Chapter 3: Party (Part 1)

"Is that what you're wearing?"

Jacky stared at the wall and sighed loud enough for Billy to hear the strains of annoyance in it. "Yes, Billy."

Billy made a humming sound. "All ri-iight."

Trying to ignore him, Jacky pulled the Syracuse lanyard with his dorm room key over his head. He glanced at himself in the mirror and wondered if it was dorky to wear the lanyard like this. He had a feeling only freshman did it. Everyone else had been wearing their lanyards at the icebreaker, but would they wear them to a party?

Sighing again, he turned to Billy, who knew exactly what Jacky was going to ask.

"Put the lanyard in your pocket," Billy said. His own lanyard dangled out of his own front pocket.

"That's what you're wearing?" Jacky asked, taking in Billy's crisp red flannel shirt, worn over a white t-shirt with a deep v-neck, and the tightest jeans possible.

Billy put a hand on his hip. "Flannel is how you signal that you're gay."

"With that outfit, you're more likely to signal a lumberjack."

Raising his eyebrows, Billy grinned.

"I mean, wouldn't you rather wear your Gucci or whatever?" Jacky tilted his head toward Billy's overflowing closet and supplementary clothing rack.

"You can't flash it all on the first day," Billy said, leaning against his bed, which on the risers was the perfect height for leaning. "You have to leave some in reserve to wow them with later. Besides, this is a dorm room party, not a club. Not a 21+ club with a VIP section, which is where I'll wear my designer clothes." Billy smirked. "Impressed that you've heard of Gucci by the way. Since it seems like you get all your clothes at Target."

"How would you know unless you shopped there?" Jacky snapped back.

"Oooh." Billy stood and shimmied his shoulders. "I forgot how sassy you can be."

"Fuck off."

"Gladly." Pushing back his red poof of hair, Billy smiled. "But seriously, flannel is in. Don't you have a flannel shirt? Don't you want to let all the boys know what you're about?"

Jacky paused. "Okay, I'm pretty sure the flannel thing is only for lesbians. And a stereotype, which I'd rather not be."

"Ugh, fine. Then do your all-black emo thing and let's go." With a wave of his hand, Billy sashayed toward the door.

Jacky went to follow then paused again, glancing at himself in the mirror. "I mean, do you think I look too straight?"

At this, Billy spun around. "Yes, you fucking fool. You reek of straightness. Don't you have a tighter t-shirt? Tighter pants? Is anything you own form-fitting or flattering in any way?"