The Garden of the Fountain of Life

*Chiara

As an angelic warrior, Chiara had one goal for her life—to fight for Heaven and the angels living there, and if necessary, to die fighting. This desire infused her every bone, strengthened every muscle. Spine straight and shoulders back, she strode through the Garden of the Fountain of Life, eyes on the shining white temple that covered the Fountain's source.

The waters made life possible, for Heaven as well as for the human realm, the Midlands. Little streams of the water trickled through cracks between realms and tiny portals, spreading life to everything it touched.

Muscles tense, she ascended the short flight of marble stairs and noticed a familiar figure walking out to greet her.

Chiara lifted her sword in salute to her captain, Daviid, relief flooding her veins despite her cold self-assurances that she needed no friends at the Fountain. She was there to protect the garden and grounds from enemies, nothing more. Making friends or falling in love didn't interest her in the least.

Daviid smiled broadly and the last remnants of her stiffness melted.

"I knew we would see each other again soon, out of the training arena," he said. He motioned for her to follow him into the marble temple. "You've come just in time."

"I was given my orders hours ago, I didn't even have time to say farewell to my class or send word to my brother."

"Not to worry, Chiara, he'll hear of it. Gossip runs rampant among the greatest fighters."

"What news of the upcoming attack?"

Daviid sighed, still smiling. "The usual. The demons are grouping to send a few legions our way to test our defenses. They use these skirmishes more to weed out the weak in their own ranks more than anything else, although, they'd be happy if they caught unaware. Make no mistake, they'd love nothing more than to slaughter us all and take the Fountain for themselves. From here, they would have a direct line of attack on Heaven, itself."

She nodded. None of this was new information, but hearing her captain talk, explaining, reexplaining, was a balm on her nerves. He had been there through most of her training with the recruits of her class, his voice was often the first and last voice she heard in the day.

They entered the cool shadows of the Fountain temple and the gurgle of water filled the air. There was a hazy mist hanging in the great, cream and white marble hall, that with one breath chased away every ache and bruise.

Unbidden her wings unfurled, expanding to their full span.

Daviid laughed.

Heat stung her cheeks. Only children couldn't control their own wings.

"That never gets old," he said. "Don't worry, it usually only happens the first time you walk in here."

She folded them primly, telling them mentally to behave. The other time wings had that reaction was at the height of sexual pleasures, another reason not to let anyone see her do that again. More than likely, she was the only female angel at the Fountain.

She reminded herself again, she had no time or interest in any romantic entanglements. She was there to fight.

As if reading her mind, Daviid continued. "I'm still amazed you wanted so badly to be a fighter, Chiara, and not a council member, like your mother and aunt, or—"

"We've had this conversation before," she said. "Fighting is what I have always done."

"Thanks to your brother, yes, but you could be so much more. You've such a keen mind and great heart. So many warriors fall to the demons when they first begin to fight. I don't want to see that happen to you."