rich and blind

"On the road to riches this is what you'll find
The good news is you came a long way
The bad news is you went the wrong way"

"You said you wouldn't buy a house, bitch"

Rafe had watched with slightly impatience once his joint was burned up, how Barry inspected the building, and didn't attempt to hide his annoyance once Barry fell back into the drivers seat, snapping at him.

He'd parked the car at the side of the road upon noticing a 'for sale' sign in front of the run down ruin of a garage, and left to check it out despite Rafes annoyed attitude from the get go. "Hurry up", he'd yelled after him and his mood had only dropped watching Barry walk around the building, peek through windows and try the doors.

It was like any other building on the cut, lacking love and investement, a small two story garage with a faded sign over the high overhang: Automotive Repairs.

Barry liked the building, he liked the location at the end of the cut and he liked the idea of having his own little workshop, a silly dream he'd had since his cousins started flipping stolen cars and he got into the matter, although it was enterily unattainable for a guy from the cut, and he'd opted to become a mechanic in the army instead.

Barry looked Rafe up and down, and slightly shook his head at the sheer wrath in Rafes blue eyes.

"...is there a problem, bro?", he asked.

Rafe scoffed, as if it was all too obvious.

"You're about to be a millionaire, alright. This-", Rafe gestured heavily with his hands, first to his head to signal Barry needed to get that shit in his brain, then outside the window at the charming little building. "-is the fucking Cut"

"I..ion really get it, Rafey. You're mad bout how I'm spending my money, bro?", Barry replied helplessly.

"You know, I gave you that money" Rafe shrugged, offered his open hands. "Just like that"

It was the second time now, that Rafe mentioned it. And it's not like Barry had believed that taking that amount of gold from Rafe was gonna go easy all without owed favors and constant reminders where it came from. Just giving Rafe that control and satisfaction had seemed like a small price to pay for half a gold cross, back when.

"Last time I checked I stole a cross for my share, Country Club", Barry said. It hadn't been Rafe taking the risk when that cross came off the ship and he had to replace it before the train was ever loaded. It hadn't been Rafe driving across the state with million dollars worth of stolen goods in the back.

Rafe shook his head in mild disagreement, before he clarified, gesturing between the two of them.

"It was a gift, alright, from me, to you"

Barry huffed in disbelief. No it wasn't. No it fucking wasn't. It was a deal, because Barry sure as fucking hell wouldn't have taken a gift, like that. Rafe talking like this now was dangerous, if anything.

And here was the thing. If Rafe thought something, then that shit was reality, at least for him, and if anyone wasn't willing to conform to that very reality, well he was just gonna force them. Barry knew Rafe well enough to understand he wasn't easily convinced otherwise. This was the view he'd made up in his head about their deal, and this was what Barry had to work with now.

He just wasn't quite sure what Rafe expected in return. Thanks?

"And now I owe you gratitude for the rest of my life, huh?", Barry guessed and hoped the sarcasm in his voice was clear enough for Rafe not just to answer: yeah. Obviously.