where the heart is

But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
1 Timothy 5:8

"Jesus, creep!". Wheezies voice bounced off the walls hit by bright light the second she flipped the switch.

Rafe sat deep in the armchair by his fathers bed, bottle of wine balanced loosely on his thigh, holding up with a tight grip around the neck of it, damn near crushing that piece of glass with his bare hands.

"Go to bed", he simply replied, feeling no need to explain himself sitting in the dark.

"I just got kidnapped", Wheezie said, immediately disappointing by the lack of reaction in Rafes face. "Barry took me"

Barry really left. It took a certain kind of effort to keep up the apathetic act, but the almost masochistic meditation in the dark had helped to shut himself down.

"Really? Then why are you here, huh?", Rafe chuckled and was quite proud of himself.

It took Wheezie back to days of play fighting with her brother, punching with small fists into his arms as hard as she possibly could, and Rafe laughing sweetly in response, all her efforts to hurt leaving no effect on him.

"He held a gun to my head"

Although her brothers protective act was only ever an excuse for violence, it felt good to be cared for. So maybe it was pure egoistical interest, but she hoped for at least a little bit of concern, and if Rafe wouldn't  give that, they could've at least talked shit about Barry. Wheez had been growing more and more lonely, and missed her sisters usual boyfriend drama.

"Why don't you tell someone who actually gives a shit? Rose will eat this up anyways", Rafe replied. He didn't feel the need to elaborate that Barry wouldn't have shot her. He wouldn't have shot anyone, because, apparently, a random strangers life was more important than Rafe anyways.

"She'll tell dad", Wheezie admitted, nodding at Ward who had become an involuntary witness to their conversation anyways, although not necessarily aware of it.

Rafe glanced over. He could already hear the drama. You brought this man here. You let this happen. You were supposed to-He let out a light chuckle. "Yeah, well, ion fucking care so can you stop bothering me already"

Wheez grimaced and Rafe unscrewed the bottle as if to demonstrate that he was awfully busy right now.
She crossed her arms. "You know what, maybe he cheated but you should be glad someone even wants to put up with you. You're insufferable!"

"'k, Sarah", Rafe said and kept the cold act up at least until Wheezie shook her head, and stomped out of the room.

He took a sip of wine and looked at his father, whose face seemed judging, in a way. "I'm done tryna feel how I'm supposed to feel", he argued, gesturing with the bottle. "Okay?" He gestured more. "I'm done. I can't do it anyways"

The man he welcomed back was not what Ward had expected to have to deal with. Rafe had never been obedient, or particularly good at following orders, but he had been fearful, and pleasing his father at least a goal he tried to achieve; a need for approval Ward counted on.

It was dark when the Taxi stopped in front of the house and let Rafe out.

Like a robber, Rafe stalked through the hallway, saw them on the couch, all three of them, just Sarah missing from the familiar picture. Countless nights he'd come home drunk or high and his family was having family time, and he was having Rafe time, and tried to sneak away quietly, not just for his own peace that would be destroyed by accusations thrown by his father, but also to protect theirs, leave them their happy little moment, without him.