the last things (before we get to work)

Chapter 5

the last things (before we get to work)

"You've been missing Quidditch practice haven't you, Harry?"

"Yeah, I have..."

After his inheritance came about, Katie Bell had been made Captain while he was in the Hospital Wing. Katie hadn't approached him about practices but he knew that he was still Seeker because he hadn't been told otherwise just yet. With having also been increasingly busier since he'd been let out, Quidditch hadn't really been a high priority no matter how much he missed it. The freedom of being in the air and the simplicity of chasing a fly golden ball.

Hermione hums knowingly. "I saw you looking at your firebolt rather longingly earlier before we had to come here. When is the next game?"

Harry tries to think of it but his mind comes up blank. "I'm not sure..." Hermione gives a breath and shakes her head.

"Go find out – the Quidditch will be a good break I think... there's so much to do with everything, we need something at least to get our minds off it..."

Harry snorts. "Gryffindor will have my head if they see somebody other than me playing. I think Professor McGonagall has been enjoying have the Quidditch Cup in her office."

"Right mate... so just pack up and go see Katie – we'll still be here when you get back." Harry stares between his two best friends and nods hurriedly.

"Right – yeah..." He gathers his stuff as quickly as he can before bolting off, feeling a flush on his face at the insinuation between the two of his friends. Gods, he really hadn't needed to know that. At all.

He got to the Fat Lady in record time, panting harshly. "Quiver." The portrait swings open and Harry goes in, looking around the Common Room imploringly. Where is she.... there!

Katie is talking with a few 3rd years and Harry stumbles over to her, flowing with relief. "Katie!"

She looks at him and she smiles. "Harry – where've you been?"

"Er, studying for N.E.W.T.s... my brain is going to melt."

She gives him a look of sympathy, nodding. "Yup. My last year and I'm contemplating flunking just cause my brain can't handle anymore knowledge. But I want out of studying hell so I'm trying... anyways, what can I do for you?"

"When's the next game? I haven't had time to look or anything and I haven't been called for practices..."

"Oh!" Katie rubs her face. "I totally forgot to tell you about practices – I've mostly just been brushing up with these little bits, it's all 4th year and below bar you and me. The game is next week. We'll be going against Hufflepuff so we have this one in the bag. Unless the suddenly decided to change tactics but from what I saw during their practices, we'll be doing just fine during the match."

Harry nods. "Okay. Is there another practice anytime soon?"

"Yes actually! We have one is like 15 minutes, if you want to join..."

"Please! I'll be down in 5 minutes."

Harry darts up the stairs to the boy's dormitory and places his bag on the bed, going to change into his Quidditch uniform. He tosses it on quickly, jamming his glasses back on when he's down. With his firebolt in hand, he goes downstairs to see Katie with a 2nd year and 4th year with her gaggle of 3rd years.

"Alright! Our star seeker is with us and we have this last practice before our match next week – I can't squeeze anymore with how much studying I have to do but you can practice with each other and throwing balls and hitting them. Practice your hand to eye coordination because that is everything with you guys."