Introduction

Dear Branden,

Hey! I've been thinking about it, and I was wondering if you'd like to come down to the farm for a few weeks and help out with some work. It's harvesting season and the workload is heavy, so any extra hands I can get out here would be much appreciated. I would, of course, give you a weekly pay which we can negotiate.

Seeing as you've never been to the farm before, I think this will be a nice experience for you. There's plenty of animals that will need tending, which will mostly be up to me, since picking the fruits and vegetables is much more simple. I'd also give you complete access to the house, but I would prefer if you didn't mess around too much in the barn since I'd be tending to everything in there.

I would call you about this, but I personally prefer writing letters, especially something of this many words. You can just call to respond to this letter, though, since I know you might not be that into letter writing.

Why don't we discuss this over at that little coffee shop you talk about all the time? I'd like to try some of their donuts.

I'll talk to you later!

Sincerely,

Jonathan

------

He runs his index finger along the stamp, sticking it in place. The sunlight from the window shines on the American flag plastered on the white paper, as Jonathan carries it over to his truck. He drives down the winding country road, the loud engine blocking out any outside noise. As he pulls into the small post office, no one else but a single employee is around. Opening his car door, he walks inside, sliding his letter through the metal door, and leaving just as quickly as he came.

His boots crunch the grass as he walks back over to his home, a pristine white house with a wrap-around porch and wide windows. A mat sits below the oak front door, welcoming all who choose to come. The interior of the home is rustic and homey, pictures of family strewn everywhere. Despite the fullness of the home, there is still an emptiness in Jonathan's heart. As if he was born with it broken in half, and still hasn't found the other piece. It might be scattered about in a million pieces all around the earth, or maybe just one piece hidden in plain sight. He would attempt to avoid the sadness, but occasionally it would come, creeping out from the shadows, tormenting him however it wants. But he refused to become vulnerable.

Light gleams into the kitchen through the window above the sink, giving a view of the backyard where woods loom, tucked away behind a short and thin wire fence. Branches and leaves stick out from the gaps in the barrier, separating his land from Mother Nature's. He liked the quaintness of it, knowing that no one else besides the few cars that drive by know about his land and home.

He prepares himself a simple sandwich for lunch, a small break before getting back to work. His dogs bark and scratch at the back door as he's about to sit down. Jonathan walks to it, the old floors creaking as he does. Both of his dogs sit at the small porch, tails wagging. He opens it, inviting them inside, but they stay put where they are, barking. One of his dogs, a golden retriever, walks back near the woods, urging Jonathan to follow. As they walk out, the clouds above slowly fade from white to gray.

"What's wrong, boy?"

They go to the fence, where a piece of white fabric is stuck to one of the erect wires, fresh blood soaking it. Jonathan picks up the material, rubbing it against his fingers as he stares into the deep woods. He whistles to his other dog, a sheep dog, who immediately obliges and runs over to his side. Swiftly jumping over the short fence, they begin their trek through the forest, his dogs running ahead of him and barking madly.

Fear drips like water in his mind, resurfacing on his exterior as sweat, dampening his eyebrows and running down to his beard. He can't seem to keep his mouth shut, and his body stiffens like a board. He is rooted to the spot as his dogs continue ahead of him, their sharp claws digging into the dirt like a rake.

As the dogs gain on the young woman, they pounce at her, knocking her to the ground. Her hands come up to her face, protecting it from impact with a large rock sticking out of the dirt. Her tears and sweat drip onto it, making sections of it go from white to gray. She lies down in defeat, weeping and shaking as Jonathan comes back to reality. He walks to her, not saying a word, and pulls her up by her bloody and torn up nightgown. He easily carries her over his shoulder, as if she were only a bag of leaves and feathers, and she probably weighs about the same.

The walk back to the fence is quick, heavy breathing from Jonathan and weeping from the woman the only noises. Thunder rumbles as he walks back, and little drops of rain fall on the nape of his neck, running down and going under his shirt. Jonathan walks over the fence with ease, and goes back to the old, decrepit barn. He hears a car drive up near his home and over the gravel driveway. Rushing to get the woman back inside, he walks at a quicker pace. The car stops, and as the door opens up, a wave of panic runs over him, making him walk even faster.

___

Hey guys! This is the full edited introduction of The Harvesting. I'd like to give a huge thanks to @FairSair6 for editing the story. She is such an amazing editor so if you ever need anything done for your story, be sure to consider her!

Let me know what you think of it in the comments! Bye now (: