Chapter Thirteen

He awakes the next morning at exactly 6:00. Wiping his eyes, he steps out of bed and walks up to the bathroom, which is occupied. He knocks, asking when the person, most likely one of his sisters, will be out.

"Just a minute!" Mary says, and steps out in about two, wearing a white floral patterned dress and casual flats. Mother and father were of the belief that girls shouldn't wear pants, for fear of over-sexualization. Ironically, Mary and Esther having to wear dresses to school made them more noticeable than any of the other students, who mainly wore jeans. Jonathan once saw one of the boys in a grade higher than Mary attempt to look under her skirt while she was focused on something else, but was caught mid-act. Mary didn't know what to think and looked more confused than angry. She never told anyone about it and Jonathan didn't think she knew that he saw.

He steps into the bathroom to relieve himself, brush his hair and get dressed, leaving soon after to get breakfast. His mother must have slept good, as he stepped downstairs he could smell sausage and pancakes from the kitchen. She didn't normally prepare such elaborate breakfasts during the week, so this was a welcomed surprise. Jonathan ate his breakfast and afterwards, only had a few minutes to spare before he had to leave. He gathered his belongings into his worn black backpack and put his shoes on, stepping outside onto the porch while he waited for his mother.

Soon, they all gathered into the car and began driving to school, which took around twenty minutes. They parked and his mother wished them a good day, after which they all stepped out and walked inside the school. It was a large old building that was made in the 1930s, but was only remodeled several years ago in 1985. The parts that were not fixed were deemed unsafe and blocked off from the rest of the school. Though no one was allowed in those areas, Jonathan had heard people talk about how druggies and couples looking for some alone time would sneak back there when no one was looking.

Jonathan walked straight to his locker once he got inside, avoiding close contact with anyone if he could. He watched as Mary walked further down the hall towards the 10th grade section of the school, keeping her head down and walking quickly and calculatedly. He lost sight of her eventually and the bell rang, signaling the start of the first period. Jonathan walked a short distance to his first class, which was world history.

He made his way to the back of the class, where his seat was. He was in the second last row on the far left side. He didn't have the best view, but education was the least of his worries when he was already thinking about going home. The teacher at the front babbled on about nonsense and assigned homework at the end that all the students passed around. They were dismissed and sent on to their next class, Jonathan's being algebra. He was once again uninterested and inattentive until lunchtime, where he tried to find the most secluded spot, which was in the corner of the cafeteria beside a window. He could feel eyes on him but couldn't place who he felt watching him. There was a small group of grinning boys a few tables down that he thought could be the ones watching him, but he couldn't be certain until two of them stood up and walked down to the table he was at and sat down beside him; one on each side of him. Their intentions were clearly sinister, he could tell based on the look on their faces.

The boy to the left of him had brown hair and wore a graphic Nirvana T-shirt and loose jeans. The boy to the right had blond hair and baggy jeans, and wore a plain white T-shirt and leather jacket.

Jonathan said nothing to them, just stared and ate his lunch, until the blond one spoke.

"Hey," He said in a casual tone, seemingly nice.

Jonathan said nothing in reply, just attempted to stand up and find another seat before the situation escalated. He managed to stand up before the two boys became angry and stood up with him.