Chapter Seven

The next morning, Branden eats breakfast with Jonathan and they chat about whatever comes to mind. He tries to stay casual and relaxed around him, but it's difficult to considering what he's discovered so far. What else could Jonathan have done that he might never know about? He tells himself that he only has eight days left here before he has to leave, which gives him minimal comfort. The suspicion that lingers in him makes it feel like an eternity away.

"You know, I'm turning 49 this Friday," Jonathan mentions out of the blue, and Branden looks up, attempting to act happy for him.

Smiling, he replies, "Oh! Nice. Are you gonna have a party?" He takes a sip of his coffee.

"Yea, just a small one. I'll probably just have a few people over to hang out with. Get a cake, listen to some music and chat, ya know. I don't like anything too crazy, it's too much work to plan. I'm sure you feel the same way."

"Yea, I don't really do them too often any more, normally I just go over to other people's parties rather than throw my own. I don't enjoy the spotlight too much. I could help out with your little shindig if you want."

"Yea, sure! It'd be great for you to meet some of my friends. I'm thinking of inviting Julia, too. Could you give me the address of her shop? I think I'll visit it sometime today."

"Sure, let me get some paper."

After writing down the address for Jonathan, they both go outside to do a little work. Jonathan comes out of the barn after a little while to inform Branden that he's leaving for the pottery shop, and heads over to his truck. After waving at him, he drives off onto the road. Branden continues working and heads inside for a small break after an hour of extra work, when Jonathan returns home and goes inside.

"Hey, I'm back!" Joathan says, walking into the living room where Branden is.

"Hey!" Branden replies. "How'd it go?"

"Good! We had a nice chat. She said she'd love to come, too. We're going out for lunch tomorrow."

"That's nice," he says. "I'll head back out soon. What time is it?"

"Quarter till 11. I'm gonna go out in a bit soon, too. You can just start on picking the fruits and vegetables now, I left some buckets next to the shed. It's behind the barn."

"Alright! I'll get on that then."

He heads back outside soon after and begins to pick carrots from the ground, throwing them into the bucket beside him. Thoughts once again begin to fill his mind, of Maria, of Jonathan, and anything else that comes to him. The sky is dull, and blue barely peeks through the clouds. The barn looks more ominous than before, and more dull red paint chips off, revealing the brown wood underneath.

He wonders, if Jonathan will eventually be caught for doing whatever it is he may be doing to those girls; what would Maria think? If she loses Jonathan, she would have no one but him. He doesn't want that to happen to her, but he worries that there is no other outcome besides that. He tries to clear his mind and think of something more positive, but can't. He is either left alone with the dull noises of trees, wind and birds, or the negative thoughts that his mind won't stop conjuring up.

He finishes his work for the day and showers before eating dinner, and goes to bed soon after, particularly exhausted.

*****

At 12PM the next day, Jonathan leaves to have lunch with Julia, not knowing how long he'll be gone. Branden watches as he leaves, and as soon as the first front wheels hit the road, he walks back into the house, with plans to search the home once more for incriminating evidence. He looks around tirelessly for nearly an hour, but finds nothing.

He gets a gut feeling, suddenly, that he should check the closet in the office. With no other ideas as to where anything might be, he decides to give into the feeling and goes into the office once again. He wedges himself between the two dressers, and goes inside the closet, where he uses his phone as a torch in the dark area.

He grabs the box on the top shelf, only to find it filled with dusty books and magazines. He sifts around its contents, leaning against the wall, when he feels a strange lack of resistance to the surface behind him. He turns around, putting the box back, and pushes the section of the wall with his hands, where it once again gives in. He tears away the wallpaper and knocks down the large panel of wood, revealing a room of secrets he could have never imagined finding.

_____

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Just wanted to thank @FairSair6 once again for editing this story, she's such a good editor and person in general. Be sure to consider her if you need any of your works edited or proofread! 

Be sure to vote and comment if you enjoyed it, thanks for reading!