Chapter Ten

The sun had set over the Red Keep as the castle's inhabitants returned to their apartments. A tense silence filled the King's chambers as Viserys and Rhaenyra dined. Occasionally the two would share a glance but neither made a move to speak, the only sound was the clanging of silverware. Viserys lifted a ringed hand, waving Darla over.

Darla emerged from the shadows where she had stood out of sight, a pitcher of wine in hand. She moved to the King's side, smiling softly as Viserys tore his attention away from his daughter.

"More wine, Your Grace?" Darla's voice was a breathy purr, stoking the fire deep within Viserys.

The King merely nodded, leaning back in his seat as Darla refilled his glass. His gaze trailed over her figure, admiring the way her dress stuck to her like a second skin.

The Princess's eyes narrowed over the rim of her goblet, watching how her father lusted after his attendant. She did not know the true nature of their relationship, but she could guess with ease. Darla met Rhaenyra's gaze, grinning at the glares sent her way.

Rhaenrya spoke as she set her glass down. "We have not spoken much since-"

"A regret of mine," Viserys interrupted. He turned his attention back to his daughter though Darla could feel the warmth of his hand through her dress as his hand landed on her lower back. "We should be free to speak our minds to one another."

"You can say whatever you'd like. You are the King." Rhaenyra grinned at her father, though it quickly fell as Darla perched herself upon his seat's armrest.

"Darla has told me you picked a new knight." The King spoke, passing his goblet of wine to his attendant.

"She did?"

Viserys didn't notice the sharp looks Rhaenyra directed towards Darla, too preoccupied by the beauty beside him. "Tell me of it."

"Ser Harrold provided a fine field of tourney knights. But in questioning them, I discovered that Ser Criston was the only man among them with true battle experience."

"He'll make a fine knight of the kingsguard." Viserys looked to Rhaenyra as he spoke.

"Today at Small Council-" She once again began to speak only to be cut off by her father.

"Pay it no mind."

"I thought I might have had some insight."

"You're young," Viserys dismissed his daughter's explanation. "You will learn."

Rhaenyra leaned back in her seat, staring at her father as he turned back to his attendant, whispering in the commonborn whore's ear. Anger stirred in Rhaenyra, the food and wine she had just consumed threatening to come back up. She pushed herself to her feet and rushed from the room and away from her father.