Chapter Seven

The midday sun warmed Darla's back as it streamed through the large windows of the Small Council's meeting chambers. Her dark eyes tracked the Princess's movements throughout the chamber, taking pleasure in the annoyance that rolled off the younger teen in waves. How pitiful, Darla thought, the heir still forced to carry the men's cups.

"Ser Ryam was a strong Lord Commander of the Kingsguard," Viserys spoke breaking darla from her thoughts. "But he was ill for sometime. He passed in peace, I hope."

"Yes, Your Grace. He was found to have passed gently in his sleep. His remains are being prepared by the Silent Sisters." The Grand Maester's voice droned on, boring Darla. "The succeeding Lord Commander, Ser Harrold, would like to make haste in finding Ser Ryam's replacement on the kingsgaurd."

Taking his cue, the bald knight stepped forward addressing the table. "Your Grace. My lords. The kingsguard must soon be restored to its full complement of seven. With the help of the Hand, I've invited a number of fine candidates to court. All have passed fair trials."

The doors swung open interrupting the Lord Commander as Lord Corlys rushed in, his boots thudding against the stone floor in his anger and haste. "Four ships have now been lost.The last one was flying my banner. The Stepstones have now grown into a conflagration, yet you sit here and dither about court business."

"If you've something to discuss, Lord Corlys-" Ser Otto began.

"I want to know what is to be done about my ships and my men."

"The Crown will compensate you for your ship and crew, and make an offering to the men's families."

"I don't want compensation." The Lord of Tides spit out, turning his attention to the King. Darla's back straightened, eager to see if Viserys would allow himself to be disrespected. "I want to seize the stepstones by force and burn out this Crabfeeder."

"I am not prepared to start a war with the Free Cities." Viserys spoke, his voice calmer than what Darla had hoped for.

"These Pirates are not the Free Cities." Lord Corlys argued.

"Who do you think provides them with their ships and tender?" Viserys questioned.

Darla could see his shoulders begin to tighten as his annoyance and frustration grew.

"In all of its history, my lord, the Seven Kingdoms have never entered open war with the Free Cities." Lord Beesbury spoke, drawing attention to himself. "Were that to happen the losses would be incalculable.

The Seasnake rounded the table, moving to stand over the elderly lord. "What reason does the Crabfeeder have to fear us?" Lord Corlys stepped back to address the rest of the lords. "The King's own brother has been allowed to seize Dragonstone and fortify it with an army of his gold cloaks. Daemon has squatted there for over half a year without even a protest from the Crown."