Chapter Sixteen

The feast following the King's wedding had gone on for hours, the sun setting over King's Landing as the celebration continued. His Grace had danced briefly with his new wife before moving to Darla's side. Shining jewels beaded her gown, covering every inch of her and gleaming in the golden light of the Great Hall as the King spun her around.

Darla glanced over Viserys's shoulder, dark eyes trailing over the crowd until they landed on Alicent's figure. The Queen waited on the edge of the dancefloor, her shoulders tensed up as she attempted to make herself as small as possible. Otto Hightower hovered over his daughter, speaking quietly to her. His hand wrapped around her upper arm tightly, causing a grimace to flash across the young girl's face.

As the music slowed and the other couples readied to begin a new dance Lord Lyonel appeared beside the King and mistress. "Are you ready, Your grace?"

"I suppose." Viserys sighed, nodding to his Master of Law.

Dark eyes narrowed in confusion as Lyonel Strong waved to where a group of noble men had gathered on the other side of the dance floor. She recognized the salacious grins that grew upon the lords' faces as the began to make their way toward Alicent.

"My King," The words spilled from Darla's lips before she could think, tearing her gaze from the men closing in on Alicent and looking to Viserys. "Allow me to prepare the Queen for you."

Viserys stared at her for a moment, before slowly nodding. Darla pushed past the crowd and rushed to Alicent's side, intertwining her arm through the younger girl's and pulling her from the Hand.

"It is time, my Queen." Darla whispered.

"Yes, of course." Alicent nodded, bidding her father goodbye as she allowed Darla to lead her through the crowd.

"My lady," One of the men called, stepping in front of Darla and Alicent to halt their escape. Alicent's fingers tighten around Darla's wrist, fearful she might be separated from the older girl. "It is custom for the male guests to escort the bride to her husband's chambers."

Darla's jaw clenched, her eyes narrowing at the way the lord's gaze swept over Alicent's figure as if he could see through the fabric of her dress. "His Grace wishes for me to accompany the Queen to his chambers. You understand, do you not?"

"Of course," The lord attempts to smile, finally stepping out of Darla's way.

Alicent trails behind Darla, tethered to her husband's mistress by the hold both had on the other's hand. Lit sconces lined the hall, breaking the darkness that had blanketed King's Landing.

"What would have happened?" Alicent's voice was small as she broke the silence. "If you had let them take me?"

"Nothing good." Darla supplied, her eyes remained forward. She feared what might happen if she looked at Alicent. If the pit in her stomach would grow larger, or if she'd be unable to lead Alicent to the King's bed, instead choosing to hide the young girl away.