Part 8

The next day, Shadow was woken up by heavy breathing. He slowly opened his eyes, his body was aching all over from the ground he was sleeping on. As he scanned the room, he spotted Amy, who seemed to be out of breath. The girl looked exhausted and was sweating. "What are you doing?" Shadow exclaimed and snatched the chaos emerald, the girl was holding, out of her hand, yet said hedgehog-girl just smiled at him in her cheerful smile again, and although he was relieved that she felt better, he was still worried about her condition.

"Oh! Good morning Shadow! Did you sleep well?" The black hedgehog blinked in confusion.

"Well, as good as you can sleep on the hard ground." He answered bluntly. He shook his head to get rid of this distraction, there was no time for it. "You didn't answer me, what you are trying to do here? You are completely exhausted!"

Amy's smile didn't drop any second. For some reason, she was in such a good mood, it felt like she completely forgot in what kind of situation both were in. "I tried to use the technique you showed me, but I can't make it work."

"I already tried that, something is disrupting the energy here. The Chaos Emerald won't get us out of here." he explained calmly. "Which is even more a reason to not exhaust you like this!" For some reason, the black hedgehog started lecturing her. Why was he even doing that?

"So that's why you never tried your Chaos Control?" Suddenly, Shadow detected a slight hint of sorrow in Amy's expression, yet she tried to keep her smile. "I just wanted to get us out of here. I don't want to be a burden." Shadow was trying to say something, but again, was at a loss for words and Amy continued. "Thank you, Shadow! For everything you've done yesterday, and also sorry I made your fur dirty." Said hedgehog crossed his arm and put on his normal grumpy expression.

"Don't get the wrong idea, I just...." before he could finish his sentence, he noticed how much he missed this cheerful, innocent smile. "I just got frustrated I might not see this smile again." Without realizing it, Shadow truthfully spoke about his thoughts and the pink hedgehog's smile grew bigger and brighter, almost dazzling.

"Really? Thank you, Shadow!" She cheerfully exclaimed and hugged his opposite tightly. The black hedgehog had a hard time not showing how painful Amy's grip can be.

"I appreciate that you are happy about it, Amy, but you should consider your strengths." He explained calmly, hoping he wouldn't pry too much into the girl's business. "Although it would be funny to see, you might break Sonic's spine, one day." Shadow couldn't help but speak this thought out loud with a sassy grin, while Amy loosened her grip and gazed at him, curious as a cat. Her face told him, the pink haired was more interested in his first statement, than the latter one.

"So, you don't think I'm weak? And useless?" Even though Amy said her last words, barely audible, Shadow still perceived them. He carefully put one of his hands on the girl's head in a comforting manner and smiled weakly, looking her straight in her emerald colored eyes.

"No, Amy! You're not useless! If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be here! You showed me what's the right thing to do." Amy was overwhelmed by this sudden praise, she pulled back from Shadow's hand and turned away from her opposite. The girl buried her face in her hands, her face completely flustered, and her heart was about to burst out of happiness. Shadow on the other hand just stood there, again, lost in his confusion. "Did I... say something wrong?"

"No, no! I'm just so happy." The pink hedgehog's statement wasn't helping one bit. Shadow still felt lost, but decided to let it go, nonetheless.

After Amy was able to calm down a bit, she faced the black hedgehog again, and grabbed one of his hands with both of her hands and expressed the most beautiful smile one could imagine. "Do you want to be friends, Shadow?" The black hedgehog only stared at her, completely lost, yet Amy smiled at him, patiently waiting for an answer. Shadow wanted to tell her, he has no need for friends, yet he couldn't bear to see this smile fade. "I guess?" Was all he could answer.