Prologue

A long time ago...

Long before the steam engine and the mining of iron from the Earth. Long before the navigation of the Atlantic...and just after the fall of the Children of Danu and the rise of the first Gaelic kings of Éire.

Spirits lived amongst mankind.

They shared their hopes and dreams with humans.

Shared their struggles and pain with mankind.

Songs, poems, and ballets told of their glorious deeds. They stood as legendary giants, shadowing the Children of Adam in their glory and divine grace.

The emerald lands were teeming with forest fae that took the shapes of elves, sprites, dryads, and faeies. The mountains hummed with the ancient song of those who dwell under their stony-homes. The endless skies served as the peerless realm of the forsaken gods. And the rivers and deep seas were the homes of the fin-folk and monsters of the abyss!

Humans and Spirits lived in perfect unison until the Mediterranean religions arrived upon the stony shores of Hibernia. And yet, foreign invasions were repelled and outside beliefs were cut down on the bitter cold stony shores by scaly monsters that the people of Hibernia called 'Merrows'.

It was the Fae that prevented the Romans from invading Scotland and Ireland; all because the Roman soldiers did not respect the ancient Pagan Celtic gods above, and the Spirits of the mounds, trees, rocks, and sea.

It would not be until May 1, 1169 when Mac Murchada and the Norman armies sailed from Wales and invaded the Viking city of Weisfjord. Nearly half of Ireland fell to the Norman Lords by 1250.

However, key areas along the coast and surrounding the Fae mounds remained unconquered, including the coastal lands of the O'Flaherty's, O'Brien's, O'Connor's, O'Donnell's, and O'Sullivan's – families protected and cursed with a bond between Merrows, Selkies, and Humans.

With the Fae's mortal presence, an unholy sin against the Pope in Rome, the Norman's waged an extermination of all the Fae and pagan beliefs.

They desecrated the Faery Mounds, toppled sacred Druid sites, burned anyone who was touched by the Fae through marriage and copulation. And stole the powers from the Merrows and Selkies by stealing their pearls from their tails, and sacred skins from around their bodies.

A terrible sin that many families still secretly lament over...

From those who blindly stolen the relics of the Fae; to those who are cursed by the relics in their heirlooms. And those severed from their Otherworldly ancestors...endlessly wandering the shore and forest for a spiritual connection...all are called back eventually to the Emerald Isle.

One such relic has been passed down from generation to generation in the O'Sullivan family: a beautiful large luminescent milky-blue pearl, the size of three pearls combined! 

***

According to legend, this pearl came from a powerful Merrow Princess who seduced a human man on the stony shore of County Kerry, in 1270.

Where most pearls were ripped away from their Merrow host, the O'Sullivan Pearl Of Lir came to the family as a gift bestowed upon the Lord of Dunkerron, near the Kenmare shores.

It was a relic from the Merrow whose love befell a child of the land. Her love came at a bad time as the Norman's were murdering Merrows and stealing their pearls. The armored men from across the Irish Sea were very close to eradicating their aquatic foe, making the once proud sea-singers fade away into their sunken kingdom of Tír fo Thuinn.

Now...the heirloom pearl was being passed down from father to son as the child had finally turned twenty years of age...his precious life just a footnote in the family poem:

his precious life just a footnote in the family poem: