19 -- The Goddess

Meara guided Kiandra over to the water's edge as she would do what she could to link her mate to the Water Deity. Many Merrows have dreamed of one day meeting their deity; but the Goddess only spoke through one person: The High Priestess.

Kiandra looked at the shimmering ocean water as she wondered where exactly the Water Deity lived in this realm. On Earth, they had countless number of gods and goddesses...and all of them were fake and created by the Ego of man to control mankind with power of faith.

The only one true faith was spiritualism...and it was a vile foe of 'God'.

The power of creation and destruction does not rest in a supreme being in a faraway paradise. It has forever existed in every man, woman, and child. In a perfect union of body, mind, spirit, and soul. So, Kiandra wondered, just what type of God rules in a world of gods, goddesses, and spirits with divine powers?

"So...how do I talk to this Water Deity?" Kiandra asked, being respectful of the Merrows traditions.

"Very few can actually talk to the Water Deity..." she told the seer "...that is the purpose of a High Priestess: to convey the Water Deity's message."

"So..." Kiandra frowned "...you are telling me to trust in your interpretation; as the divine truth. I must warn you, that was how religion was founded amongst humans. And it has shed the blood of billions of lives foolishly lost to the empty words of self-proclaimed 'wisemen'."

"Then...would you like me to teach you how to connect to the divine?" she asked Kiandra "There is no promise that the Water Deity will actually talk to you, especially if you are attempting to deceive the deity."

"I am afraid that it is the only way that I will ever fully trust the answer; if it should come."

Meara accepted that viewpoint as she glanced at the mark on Kiandra's forehead. It was a combination of a Low Priestess and Seer, so there was still hope that the Water Deity might actually accept her thoughts. But she did not count on it.

"Kiandra, I must warm you that there is risk in doing this." she worried "There are oral tales of Merrows who approached the Water Deity and suffered greatly because of it."

"I have to do this." she told Meara, staring at the water.

"Okay." Meara took Kiandra's hand as she guided the young seer out into the shallows of the ocean. She occasionally looked over at the young girl as she noticed that Kiandra was nervously taking each step as if there was no telling of what the next step would bring. "Are you okay?" she asked.

"I will not lie...the ocean sort of scares me." Kiandra's voice shook "Remember, I do not know how to swim! And I cannot control my metamorphosis!" she felt the water deepen as she clung onto Meara for dear life.

"If you are going to live your life as a Merrow, then you first have to first learn how to accept the water." she told her mate. "Merrows are water beings and not land beings like humans. You must overcome your fear of the water and surrender to it."

Meara's form changed as she returned to her Merrow-form and swam beside Kiandra as she helped to steady the unsteady girl. When they reached about waist deep in the splashing waves, they finally stopped as this would do.

"You need to submerge the necklace into the water. Our holy relic will increase your luck in communicating with the Water Deity." Kiandra nodded, understanding; but the first wave had knocked her back as she panicked.

Meara was swift to cradle her body, keeping her head above the waves. Kiandra lay there feeling the ocean lapping beneath her chin. Her hands gently held onto Meara's scaly tail.