14 -- The Queen

[Meara...] Niamh finally said as Kiandra had left them alone [...your affection for the little Seer is admirable. But do not forget something important!] her words were as cold as ice.

[I am well aware.] Meara said, looking away. [You should not have left the palace! You could have died!]

[You once promised me that you would never mate with anyone else, for as long as I lived. Punishable by death!] Her words, chilling. [A steep price to pay for contracting a Finwife in service to the Merrows. I urge you to keep your promise, for Kiandra's sake.]

[I understand.] Meara bowed her head as Niamh kissed her forehead.

[Go now...I need to rest.] Meara got up and left Niamh to her own attention as she closed the door and sighed. Her life was plagued with far too many costs...and now Kiandra was at the top of the list of painful costs.

***

Kiandra laid in her silent room, holding the Egg close to her body as it became natural for her to do this. And though the Egg would not respond to her, she still cared for it out of grief for the loss of its Breeder that she could not save.

The door opened as she hoped to see Meara, but it wasn't Meara who appeared. Just two female guards that kindled the fire to keep the room warm and closed the window. The other guard placed a silver tray of food next to her as she bowed to the young Seer.

[Dinner, Seer.] she told the little Merrow, showing the meal of raw fish, sea kelp, and strange looking berries. Kiandra just smiled, lightly bowing to the guard out of respect.

"Uhm, thank you." she replied.

[Have a good evening, Seer.] the guard said as they showed themselves outside the room.

'Nighttime must be coming soon.' she thought to herself. 'Where is she?'

She placed the Egg away from the Fae fire...she would not allow this one to explode! She explored her room as she was looking at everything that was inside this dwelling. Her foot touched a loose floorboard as she knelt down and found that it was a hiding place for riches!

However, inside was only a silver trinket with a crystalline gem in the center. She held it, studying the gem as the item seemed to flash and when the light cleared from her eyes, she found herself sitting on the ceiling of some room on the second floor of the palace.

"Huh!" she muttered as everything was upside down—and upside right! It was disorientating!

She heard a splashing sound from above, looking up at a beautiful mermaid swimming in the pool. The mermaid stopped swimming and glanced down at Kiandra, wondering how she was actually doing that!

"How is that even possible?" she asked, wondering how the water and mermaid were not crashing down upon her. The mermaid did not say a word, or show any sign of fear. Instead, she enchanted the water and it began to flow down towards her as if it was alive!

The water completely enveloped her inside a bubble, pulling her up towards the mermaid until gravity decided that Kiandra defiance was long enough and it dropped her towards the pool. It was then she was aware of three things:

One—it was she who was upside down, and not the mermaid!

Two—she was rudely inside someone else's room without their permission!

Three—she found that as a human, she cannot breathe the water. And to make matters worse, she does not remember how to transform!