12 -- The Punishment

Like time slowing down, Kiandra watched as the shimmering silver hollow-point dart flew just past his face as it then impaled itself into the thick bark of a tall conifer tree. He gawked at the deadly weapon as it soon became clear: someone wanted him dead!

"Kiandra!" Meara grabbed the young man and place him behind her as she faced the attacker who stepped out from the bushes. She was carrying a long silver pipe in her hand, and three more darts in the other hand. Kiandra glanced at his attacker from behind Meara, seeing that it was Caelan.

"Listen to me," Meara told him "When the coast is clear, I want you to run back to the village and stay there! If the other Merrows were to get involved, I will not be able to protect you."

[High Priestess.] Caelan said, blocking the way back to the village. She glared at Meara as she hissed, bearing her sharp teeth [Just what are you doing with my mate?!]

[Calm down, Caelan. You cannot resolve this misunderstanding with violence.] she guarded Kiandra. Her eyes glanced at the bushes moving as her deepest worries were coming true. Madness has taken root in their hearts, heightened with the passing of Ashling.

A moment later, three other Keepers emerged as they surrounded Kiandra and Meara, the three Keepers armed with spears pointed right at them. Caelan stepped over to the side, looking down at Kiandra. She extended her hand, asking him.

[Come!] she commanded [Come, my unfaithful lover. I will only give you this one chance to beg me for forgiveness.] Kiandra was unwilling, still not certain what was being said. So, Caelan grabbed Kiandra's arm tightly as he cried out in pain.

"No! I do not like you!" he cried out.

[You are being a bad Breeder!] Caelan growled, pulling him away from Meara.

"I said let go, you manic mermaid!" Kiandra's strength wasn't enough to even resist Caelan's strength. So, he bites down on her arm with his developing Merrow teeth, hoping that the pain will be enough to cause Caelan to leave him alone.

Caelan still held his arm as she cursed the boy's insolence.

[How dare you! I will teach you a lesson in respect!] She was going to slap Kiandra across the face, but Meara grabbed her hand as only Caelan's long claw ripped across his flesh on his cheek. Beads of red blood swelling in the wound.

Kiandra stood beside Meara in shock as he touched the wound and looked down at the red blood upon his fingertips.

[How shameful!] Meara hissed at the rogue Merrow; Caelan's claws had ripped into her skin on her hand as her own blood flowed down her arm [Striking another Merrow without proper understanding! Do you think that you are above the law, Caelan?] Kiandra looked up at his protector as he had expected her to throw him to the wolves...but unlike what she said before, she was protecting him, and the tribe had moved against him.

[Do not speak of the law to me!] Caelan took back her hand, yelling at Meara [We all have seen your guilt firsthand! You made my mate raise your own Egg! Then you placed it back in the shallows when your lie became too big to carry!]

[Pardon?] Meara asked, confused.

[The Egg that you swapped with mine!] she barked [You destroyed my Egg! So, I will destroy your Egg! Then, I will destroy you!] she hissed.

"What is she saying?" Kiandra asked Meara.

"Caelan told me that the Egg that you have been raising wasn't hers." She commented, glancing down at him as she heard rumors that Kiandra had been raising one of Caelan's Egg's named Aisling.