What I Did.

I had unplugged the alarm clock before ever it could sound. I hadn't heard anything else other than howls, and
the sound of the typical creatures at night. I was too cowardly to move the dresser to look out my window, and I was scared to move the one that blocked my bedroom door.

My mouth was dry as sand, and my eyes were practically floating with the need to use the restroom, but I wouldn't leave the fortress of the room. I had even called off work today, claiming to be sick. There wasn't any way n this world I was getting dressed and stepping out into the dark morning after what I had seen last night. What if it's still out there? What if it's left?

After hours of lamenting, I decided to move the dresser from my bedroom door. I grabbed the lamp off my bedside table and took it along with me as I tiptoes through the house. Nothing was put of ordinary. Nothing destroyed, misplaced, or disturbed in any manner. I went room to room in search of anything, half expecting the man to pop out from under the bed or closet. To my relief, it remained uneventful. I went for the front door this time, taking deep breaths as I prepared to look out the peephole. Nothing. Not even a spec of dirt. The creature and my stupid shoe were both gone.

I went to the restroom, showered to keep myself awake, and put on a decent outfit to run errands in later. I brewed a pot of coffee in the kitchen, and chugged half of it down over the counter as it scalded my throat and burned into my belly. It was black, and bitter, but I needed something to keep my eyes from drooping. Maybe the caffeine will ease my head? I grabbed a knife to pack in a purse I had taken from the closet. I found my phone, extra charger and my pepper spray, stashing them in the purse along with the wallet and knife. 

I did not want to leave the apartment, but I was running low on groceries and creature comforts. I was putting together half assed meals before my parents had been stopping in with dinner, and I hadn't really been out for anything well before the incident. Also, I'm low on deodorant. I'm not even sure I would want to be alive if I had to stink. Maybe that would deter the creature. I mean, aren't they supposed to have heightened sense of smell? I grinned.

If I was going to leave, I had to go on. I was definitely going to do so now that the coast felt clear and the sun was bright and shining. And everybody else in the complex should be up and shuffling about. There would maybe be help or witnesses if something were to happen on my way in or out. It was now or never. I hadn't even thought about working tomorrow or what tomorrow would bring. I was too fixated on surviving today and too caught up in my memories of what had transpired. It was like the world had paused in my head. But it was real. I know what I seen.

I felt I'd be safer leaving with the pepper spray in hand, so I watched out the peephole for a bit, then I sprung out locking the door immediately. I had my finger on the button as I made my way down the stairs and outside to my car. I likely looked a fool, but I was additioning as the next James Bond. If anyone had seen what I had, they'd be messed up too. The trauma overrode my fear of others' opinions. If could keep up all this running, I'd be in impeccable shape in no time. Let the wolf chase me then. Or don't. It felt like I was inviting it in by just joking in my head.

I quickly checked over my car as I opened the door, looking in the back floorboard and hatch area. I trusted nothing at this point. I hopped in and even drove with the pepper spray clutched in the hand that fisted the wheel. I refused to even blink as I passed that ominous stretch of road, eyes darting side to side in search of the wolf. Like it would wait by the ditch in broad daylight for me.

I drove to the opposite side of town from my workplace, not wanting to be seen about after calling in. My pay had deposited several days into my hospital stay, so I drove to a small auto glass repair shop to get my windshield replaced. I would be a couple hours waiting, but it was worth it to be street legal again and have the safety of the glass.