chapter 13

You did not understand. Not one bit.

König had gathered that much the second he stepped foot in that room. He wasn't expecting to see you, and even more wasn't expected the reaction you threw at him. He was hurt, but more importantly, confused.

König had quite the intuition, though, and oddly, he sensed as if you probably felt the same way.

You and him went without contact for almost a decade. No word, no letters, just hints thrown around. He didn't know anything about you, what you looked like, your whereabouts, what you were doing in life... And when he saw you for the first time in so many years, he was hoping that when you would reunite, all the pieces would fall together — it just seemed like everything was a million times worse.

He locked himself in a room with a creaky dingy bed, ensuring to move a spare piece of battered furniture upon the door to ensure nobody could get in that was unwanted. He had learned enough about the doors in this safe house for one day.

He ruffled his long, bushy dirty blond hair, running has hands through it and tugging at the strands. He really needed to get it cut, but constantly having that mask on honestly made him forget that he had any human qualities. Most of the time, he simply perceived himself as nothing other than a robotic killing machine.

Since he left everything — including you — back in your hometown, he sort of shut his mind off, his human side off. He made himself immune to the lethality of the new environment around him. He grew accustomed to the blood and the gore and the dirt and the grime. He got comfortable with it. Too comfortable with it.

And that's what made him so good. He became sly, a quiet, brute of a man, strong and willing. He became a silent leader, and though nobody quite understood him, everyone fell like chess pieces in his lead.

He didn't need anyone to understand him. He was content with what he was doing all by himself for many months. But as time passed by, his soul longed for you, his heart tore at your absence, and his physical body exhibited the pain in his mind. He became even more depressed than he was as a teenager, and would lay in his hard, cold bed in the barracks for days at a time, at least when he didn't have a job to do.

That's when he started looking for you.

The two of you both shared a common interest in joining the military, that was clear enough. Though in your youth you never openly spoke about it, your time spent at boot camp and the change in your persona when you came back made it pretty obvious it was something you wanted to pursue.

Nobody knows the true reason he left his life behind to join the military when he eighteen, and he intended to keep it that way. It was dark, and traumatic, and he would rather walk barefoot on steaming hot coal than have to go through that period of his life again.

After the few months he spent in the military alone, he missed you to an extent he couldn't wrap his mind around, and it didn't take him long before he started looking for your trace without even intending to. That intuition of his lead him to believe you were probably closer to him than he thought. He knew that once he had left his hometown, you were sure to follow.

It made him feel guilty, but he shoved the feeling down.

König was a good soldier, an admirable one. He became a leader to his platoon without even attempting to, and quickly got the name he goes by now from his fellow soldiers — the King.

Life went on, he got casted into German Special forces for about a year, and even worked with British Task Force 141 for a drug bust.

It was there when he finally got a lead on your whereabouts that got him closer than anything he'd ever heard before; he used to silently listen, to hear stories about you. You became a somewhat like a legend in the German military, at least the part he was in, for being an incredible, deadly sniper.