chapter 30

[A/N] - thank you SO much for 100k reads !! im so so honored that you guys like my book. thank you from the bottom of my heart <3

(also, for the photo above, i could find the artist for the ghost fanart, but i couldn't find the artist for the könig fanart, so if anyone knows who created it, please let me know !!)

-abi

As dawn broke upon the horizon, you fumbled with your lighter, pulling down the wheel over and over again to get it to light; you furrowed your brows in concentration, sticking your tongue out the corner of your mouth (a habit you inherited from your father). The lighter was fairly old — it was a spare you carried in your tactical vest in the case you would ever need it for a mission, but you still felt frustration fester inside you the longer it took for the fire to catch. You now regretfully wished you had bought a new one on your walk to the drug store this morning.

And by this morning, you meant four A.M.

You slept well, for most of the night. In fact, it was the best you'd slept in a while. But because of your time spent in German Special Forces and the military in general, your body is simply accustomed to waking up earlier than normal people, no matter how exhausted you are. You're certain Kilgore and Simon would be up any moment.

You tried not to think of them as you sat on the curb outside the hotel, watching the occasional car rumble by. Lucky for you, the hotel was sort of strewn to the side, away from the heart of the city, so there were only a few law offices and fast-food restaurants around. Peace and quiet.

Your cigarette slipped from your mouth for a moment, but you caught it, and situated it back between your lips. You sighed through your nostrils, flicked the lighter once more, and it caught. You cheered internally, and lit your cigarette successfully after a few attempts.

You inhaled the smoke gratefully, and blew it away. The sky was watercolors of pastels, pinks, tangerine-oranges, and even a vibrant streak of red here and there. The sun peaked behind tuffs of clouds. You watched the smoke you exhaled swirl into the sky. For a moment, you imagined it was one of those clouds, fallen to the ground. You reached out to touch it, but the smoke dispersed and expanded into an entirely different direction.

Taking another hit, you bounced your leg and thought about the night before (though you swore when you woke up this morning and got dressed, you wouldn't look at or even think about the two naked men laying in the bed). It was amazing, to put it simply. You felt so happy last night, as you fell comfortably to slumber, but now, in your wake, you fear that everything is going to go horribly wrong.

Yes, Simon and Kilgore had miraculously joined forces last night and fucked you to sleep, but what's that to keep them from going back to hating each other today? Or at least, Simon hating Kilgore and Kilgore tolerating Simon (since he saved your life and all).

You worried, took a puff of nicotine, and then worried, blew out the smoke, and then worried again. It was a cycle for a few minutes.

You didn't want to lose either of them, especially not Kilgore. Not again. This time, it would be your fault, and you don't know if you could handle that.

"Hey," a voice grumbled, yet it cared a youthful drawl. You turned around in recognition, and before you could stifle it, a smile lit up your otherwise broody countenance.